Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

any aftermarket rear control arms for better clearance of exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 06:46 PM

any aftermarket rear control arms for better clearance of exhaust?

Trying to find out if there are some aftermarket solid rod control arms to replace the stock stamped steel ones for better cleanance of the exhaust going over the rear axle when I take on a true dual exhaust.
Or do you think it would provide any more room??
Here's a pic I found, notice the stamped steel arm just below the exhuast as it goes over the axle...this is the part I'm trying to find that my provide just a tad more room.
http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/misc/td06.jpg

Thanks to truedualws6 for the pic on his website!
Thanks
Old 08-06-2005, 09:21 PM
Administrator

Re: any aftermarket rear control arms for better clearance of exhaust?

That's not the "control arm" that's right under the exhaust system. That's the chassis brace to support the panhard rod mounting point. BMR makes a modified brace, with a kit to lower the panhard rod as well. About 1/2 way down in this page:

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F4.htm

Putting on "moderator" hat.....

We have specific forums for specific topics. "control arms" questions don't belong on "LT1 Engine Tech"..... moving to "Suspension......." forum.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:27 AM

Thanks for the info. That is exactly what I'm looking for.

Would the tubular torque arm and the torque arm relocation kit add some additional space to work with duals??
Old 08-07-2005, 12:42 PM
Administrator

I can't see the torque arm affecting much in the way of space for duals. Unless you're thinking of trying to fit the pipes in the driveshaft tunnel. In that case, the stock torque arm is thinner and takes less space.

The relocated front mount for the torque arm can cause problems with an X-pipe type dual exhaust. Depneds on the brand of the torque arm, and where they put the front mount, and the specifics of your exhaust design.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:24 PM

Here's a link to some duals running down the stock location.
http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/misc/dualexhaust.htm
Which is what I was planning to do so the torque arm info is good to know. As far as the "X", the cross-over is blended in where the pipes are parallel just after the transmission mounting bracket.
I'm about to go throw the car up on the lift and check it out more closely to see what I have to work with.
Old 08-07-2005, 03:50 PM

Now that I've put the car up in the air and looked carefully over it, here's a few more bumps in the road for me..
Plan to use LT headers, so the driver side will crossover to the other side right under the tail shaft and over the "X" tunnel brace...this is on a convertible so the tunnel brace is a little different and bigger.
In this case, it appears the BMR torque arm may not be as "Tall" at that spot since its a solid "bar" there, although it is fatter side to side.
Once past the tail shaft, the duals will run down the pass side of the drive shaft so torque arm fatness is not an issue there.

I see Spohn makes a torque arm that actually terminates at the tunnel brace on a non-vert car instead of the tranny tail shaft...that would work the best if they had something like that for a vert.