Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Any lowering springs that don't increase stiffness?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 08:20 AM

Question Any lowering springs that don't increase stiffness?

I've thought about lowering springs for a while now. Nothing major, maybe 1"-1.5". The problem is that I really like my ride quality right now with my suspension mods (see sig). All of the lowering springs that I've seen also increase the spring rate by a pretty big margin. I know that is for a reason (better roll control, and reduced chances of bottoming out the car) but has anyone come across springs that lower the car without adding stiffness. I prefer a linear spring, not progressive but I'm flexible.

Thanks.

Dan

Last edited by stereomandan; 09-22-2004 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:05 PM

Re: Any lowering springs that don't increase stiffness?

No stiffness added? Cut the stock springs lol. You can squeeze 1/2 inch by changing the the SS springs.

I'm sure the changes in stiffness combinate for all that you mentioned. I like the Prokit myself. Seems like the right drop size for you. Find them used, if you don't like them sell them. Shouldn't loose much money that way.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:29 AM

Uh... the point of making lowering springs stiffer is to keep you from bottoming out. If you lower the car, you've reduced your suspension travel that much. Hitting the bump stops is going to be a lot rougher than stiffer springs, and much less controlled.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:36 AM
WOT

Originally Posted by csmonte
No stiffness added? Cut the stock springs lol. You can squeeze 1/2 inch by changing the the SS springs.

I'm sure the changes in stiffness combinate for all that you mentioned. I like the Prokit myself. Seems like the right drop size for you. Find them used, if you don't like them sell them. Shouldn't loose much money that way.

Cutting the coils off (aka reducing the number of active coils) will INCREASE the spring's stiffness.

Dan having the car bottom out will hurt ride a bunch as you're transitioning to the bump stops which will instantly add a ton of spring rate (especially the stock front bumpstops). Most aftermakrket springs are stiffer than stock. Heck all of them suck in my opinion-you either have poor rates or ride height. That's why I like the ground control kit, but it's pricey.

If you want a nice smooth ride with it a little bit lower than stock the SLP eibachs from the level II kit are going to be your best bet. They're not optimal for handling though since they're progressive. Everything is a trade off.

There is the option of swapping your front shocks to Koni SA's which can use a lower perch. This will allow you to drop the nose slightly up front (I think 3/4") and in the rear keep the bilsteins and remove the spring isolator and wrap the top of the spring in heater hose (3/4" drop). The car will ride nice and handle better (Koni's valving is better than a non-revalved bilstein hd). However, Koni's are not cheap. The koni's do come with a much nicer bumpstop than the stock one the bilstein's reuse. The koni stop starts out softer and transitions more nicely to a firm rate. I think that might also be your best bet.