Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Any trick to removing front rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 06:18 PM

Any trick to removing front rotors?

First off, I've done pads and rotors before, usually on older stuff. I even did them on a 99 Malibu which has the slip-on rotors. But, for the life of me, I can't get the front rotors off my 97 V6 Camaro!!!

I just bought this car and found out right away it needed front brakes as I was getting a pulsation in the brake pedal pretty bad. I bought new pads and rotors and figured I'd install them today in about a half an hour. I got the pins out no problem, took the outer pad off, compressed the piston, then removed the inner pad. (By the way, the inner pad had next to NO material left whereas the outer had quite a bit.) Then the fun began. I tried to pull the rotor off with no luck. Then I tried tapping on it with a hammer. Then a little PB blaster. Then the hammer. Then a pry bar. Then a 5lb sledge! The stupid thing still won't come off! I've PB Blasted it at least three times (where it sits on the hub, through the stud holes, through the vents and from the back!) and have beat the crap out of it from the front, side, top, back, etc., but still nothing! I then tried the other side and get the same thing!

Am I missing something here?! I've never had this much trouble replacing brake rotors in my life!!! Please help!!!!!!!
Old 07-26-2011, 08:52 PM

Re: Any trick to removing front rotors?

Just an update. I found a video on YouTube of someone changing the rotors on his 94 Camaro. He takes off the calipers, then slides the rotors off. Sooooo.... I'll let the PB Blaster sit overnight and hit it in the morning. I'm going to try to clean where the rotor meets the hub, then beat it into submission! Well, beat it at least until the rotor comes off.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:57 PM

Re: Any trick to removing front rotors?

Not uncommon for rust to "weld" them to the hubs. Once you get them off, clean the hub and apply some antisieze grease to prevent the issue in the future.