Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Anybody move their ASR (traction Control) box?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2005, 02:19 AM

Anybody move their ASR (traction Control) box?

I've searched, here and in the Forced Induction Forums, and cannot find anybody who has actually done it. I dont want the box there, yet I want to retain the function of the ASR. I've looked at the kit from Shelby, or whatever, and it has to do with brake lines, but the ASR has nothing to do with that.

Has anybody moved theirs? Or know of anybody who did?

Thanks!
Old 04-09-2005, 09:31 AM

Re: Anybody move their ASR (traction Control) box?

Are you refering to the valve cover mounted unit that controls the throttle or the hydraulic unit by the ABS unit on the driver's side inner wheel well?
Old 04-09-2005, 07:49 PM

From what I have gathered by trying to get an actual answer to this question myself, it seems like it is not done very often and talked about even less. Im in the camp that I HATE that ugly big black box over my valve cover, but wouldnt mind keeping ASR. However, I consider it essential to retain cruise and ABS, so that is why I have not simply yanked it out yet. And to answer the question above, I would have to assume that he means moving the box on the valve cover, but am not sure.
Old 04-10-2005, 12:39 AM

I've removed it from my car because I don't have ABS or TCS anymore. You replace the cruise control cable and the accelerator cable with the parts for a camaro without TCS.

http://www.pharmacy.arizona.edu/staf.../NoABSTCS.html

You might be able to get away with replacing those cables and removing the box on the valve cover leaving you with ABS and cruise, but no TCS, but I think the EBCM is different for ABS only and ABS/TCS and that might cause some issues unless you always turned off the TCS with the in car switch.

If you want to retain all functionality, but relocate the black box you would have to deal with making appropriate cruise and accelerator cables, lining them up properly, and possibly one wiring harness modification.

Tim
Old 04-10-2005, 01:41 AM

Lightbulb Re: Anybody move their ASR (traction Control) box?

Removing the box, while still retaing ABS and Cruise seems next to impossible and it pisses me off. So I suppose moving it would be the next best thing, but then where the heck do you put it?
Old 04-10-2005, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by eagleknight97
Removing the box, while still retaing ABS and Cruise seems next to impossible and it pisses me off. So I suppose moving it would be the next best thing, but then where the heck do you put it?
That is the question. And if you did find a place, as TW95Z said, you'd have to make it perfect length for the cables, or make your own.

Why, oh why?????