Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Anyone converted over to C5 front brake steup?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 04:22 PM

Anyone converted over to C5 front brake steup?

I am trying to see if this setup will fit on the wheels that I would like to buy. Roh Snypers or American Racing Rebels both in a 17 x 9 configuration. It would be idiotic of me to buy the wheels and then check the fitment of the template to see if it fits. If you know for sure that it will fit on either of the wheels let me know. I know it will fit on the WS6 wheels but, I would rather use something other than that if I can help it. Thanks
Old 03-19-2006, 12:15 AM

Re: Anyone converted over to C5 front brake steup?

i have these brakes but w/ 18' wheels sorry buddie. get some 18's. 17's look small and stupid imo
Old 03-19-2006, 04:23 PM

Yeh but, tires are more expensive for 18s. What size 18 wheel can I run up front?
Old 03-19-2006, 04:41 PM

i run 18x9.5 and it's fine. dude 18's are getting reasionable. you can get some 275 35 18's for $160 a tire if you look around. whats that maybe 15 more a tire. for the far better looks it's worth it.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:49 PM

I run the stock SS 17X9.5 wheels and have plenty of clearance between the wheels and brakes. I'm using the LS1 calipers (nearly identical to C5 calipers) with C5 rotors and custom modified brackets.

Do you have the brakes now or planning on installing them? I will be selling a complete LS1 brake package with new C5 rotors and a modified caliper mount brackets in a week or two.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:42 PM

Yeh, I have all the parts for the install thanks for the offer. Just curious why would you use the LS1 calipers instead of the stronger C5 calipers?

Last edited by EODUSMCR; 03-19-2006 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:46 PM

Any pics?
Old 03-19-2006, 07:06 PM

They are still on the car. I have this picture from shortly after they were installed. I will sell them with new rotors but not the sloted rotors currently installed, Also included is the brake hose and LS1 style hose mount bracket. You will need pads.

Last edited by RE AND CHERYL; 03-19-2006 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:58 PM

that's why i would advise against that set-up. the rotor is not meant for that caliper so the bottom part does not get any pad wear. looks like some cheap p.o.s. if your going to do something don't half a$$' it.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mustang4Lunch2
that's why i would advise against that set-up. the rotor is not meant for that caliper so the bottom part does not get any pad wear. looks like some cheap p.o.s. if your going to do something don't half a$$' it.
The C5 Conversion or the LS1 caliper with the conversion?
Old 03-20-2006, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Mustang4Lunch2
You might not want to run your mouth off before you know everything. The Hawk pads I bought for some reason had a slight tapper to them. Because of this they didn't lay flat on the rotor and make full contact. That picture was taken a few days after I installed the C5 rotors. Within a week they had full contact.

The C5 Conversion or the LS1 caliper with the conversion?
I'm sure he's talking about C5 calipers with LS1 calipers. C5 calipers are nearly identical to LS1 calipers with the same size pistons. The LS1 pads are also the same width as the C5 pads. While a full C5 conversion with the red calipers look great, it offern no braking advantage to adding C5 rotors to LS1 brakes. The calipers cost a fortune because they are vette parts. If you really like the looks, red paint is cheap.

Re'

Last edited by RE AND CHERYL; 03-20-2006 at 06:47 AM.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL

I'm sure he's talking about C5 calipers with LS1 calipers. C5 calipers are nearly identical to LS1 calipers with the same size pistons. The LS1 pads are also the same width as the C5 pads. While a full C5 conversion with the red calipers look great, it offern no braking advantage to adding C5 rotors to LS1 brakes. The calipers cost a fortune because they are vette parts. If you really like the looks, red paint is cheap.

Re'
Wrong...

The C5 calipers are pressure cast, not gravity cast. And they also have stiffening ribs cast into them, which helps the caliper resist spreading. The C5caliper is a better caliper for sure.

The only people that will try to tell you that the LS1 caliper is as good are the people that cheapened out and are running the F body caliper with the C5 rotors (joke)
Old 03-20-2006, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by always faster
Wrong...

The C5 calipers are pressure cast, not gravity cast. And they also have stiffening ribs cast into them, which helps the caliper resist spreading. The C5caliper is a better caliper for sure.

The only people that will try to tell you that the LS1 caliper is as good are the people that cheapened out and are running the F body caliper with the C5 rotors (joke)
haha i was just about to post that. this is true. i will go run my mouth towards RE and Cheryl. if you wanna do it right do it right. the C5 calipers are not that expensive, way cheaper than the baer GT kit which uses those same calipers just w/ baer on them instead. if that small price from the ls1 to the c5 is too much for you than save!! please don't try telling me how much you make either now because i really could care less.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:16 PM

My initial coment delt with you asuming the LS1 pads weren't right for the C5 rotors because they hadn't bedded in on the rotor in my picture.

I also didn't say the C5 caliper is not a better caliper. I stated that that in my opinion the differences aren't worth the extra cost. I'm aware of the difference in casting procedures, and although the LS1 caliper has stiffening ribs, the C5 caliper has more. But these differences aren't going to make any difference to 95% or more of us. I respect your right to use what you want on your car, but don't say someone elses set up is junk just cause you don't agree with it.

What does how much I make have to do with the brakes om my car?

Re'
Old 03-20-2006, 05:59 PM

Well guys this really doesn't help me with my fitment issues!! I do not want to purchase a set of wheels if I do not know for sure if they will fit the C5 conversion.

Quick Reply: Anyone converted over to C5 front brake steup?