Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Anyone had this prob. w/sphon torque arm

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 09:27 PM

Anyone had this prob. w/sphon torque arm

went to put my torque arm on w/driveshaft loop and with my hooker LT's and the y pipe it will not fit w/o rubbing the y pipe where the loop fits....the only way i see it fitting and not rubbing all the time is to cut the loop off and just use the torque arm which is defeating my purpose for the loop.

any suggestions
Old 10-11-2006, 12:14 PM

Re: Anyone had this prob. w/sphon torque arm

Try moving the y-pipe, those y-pipes are never consistent. Try loosing it up and moving the y-pipe around the loop.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:27 PM
Administrator

What Y-pipe are you using - was it custom made?

I had my loop welded to the side of the TA, because my TH400/Gear Vendor setup was longer than the stock trannies and interfered with Spohns standard location.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:34 PM

no my Y pipe come from hooker for the LT's, we've tried moving the Y pipe every way and it's still going to rub.....now maybe if i cut the loop off and reweld it that might work, i just didn't want to take the chance and then be stuck w/ a useless loop
Old 10-11-2006, 03:12 PM

Mine is close but I had to loosen up the Y at all joints and push/pull/tighten it up.
how close it is from clearing? could you clearance the loop slightly if you dont want to dimple the pipe?
Old 10-11-2006, 07:28 PM

As fred said Y pipes are just never consistent from unit to unit. If its in the way I would work on moving the Y pipe before I cut and welded a $450 tq arm. You can have a new Y-pipe made for a lot less headache.

Can you put up some pics?
Old 10-12-2006, 07:23 PM

well i didn't make pics like i should have when trying to install it but i might try this weekend again and make some pics\

i mean it clears the y pipe by a 16th of an inch but that's pract. touching...and i know when the car is under torque it will be smacking the y pipe which will drive me nuts....i would have thought surley that they made them with more clearance than that

good point i would rather mess up the y pipe than the torque arm
Old 10-12-2006, 10:05 PM
Administrator

If you decide to move the DS loop, check with Steve Spohn to see what he can do for you. He built mine to order, with the loop on the side of the arm, at least 6" behind where it would normally be mounted. Fitted it up in his shop, welded it, built a front mount with no "stand" for the loop, then had the whole setup powder coated.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:52 PM
Banned

Let us know how it turned out.

I'm installing Jet-Hot Hooker LTs and Y pipe over Christmas.
I emailed Spohn Tech for advice and they told me to try and see what happens.
If it rubs, they sell an alternate crossmember for $140 that will give you additional room for LTs.
In retrospect, I probably should have ordered that model of torque arm in the
first place. I was just worried about ground clearance (stupid sportlines)
Old 12-16-2006, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by James Montigny
Let us know how it turned out.

I'm installing Jet-Hot Hooker LTs and Y pipe over Christmas.
I emailed Spohn Tech for advice and they told me to try and see what happens.
If it rubs, they sell an alternate crossmember for $140 that will give you additional room for LTs.
In retrospect, I probably should have ordered that model of torque arm in the
first place. I was just worried about ground clearance (stupid sportlines)

well i got it on and had no problems BUT I ended up going with true duals and dumped them at the axles.....like i said the arm fits perfectly now. I wouldn't trade those duals for any catback i've ever had or cutout!!! and it's much cheaper.

as for the torque arm and clearance....it hangs (crossmember) as low as my duals do...you've got about 6 in. of clearance under all of it. you just have to be careful around speed bumps and changes in heights of blacktop in example parking lots going into roadways

I've had it to the track a few times and really can't see the changes that it helped having the arm but it does give me piece of mind that my driveshaft is now not a catapult bar waiting to happen
Old 12-20-2006, 08:36 AM

Kinda OT, but do you have any info on how you did your exhaust

Originally Posted by RUFST
well i got it on and had no problems BUT I ended up going with true duals and dumped them at the axles.....like i said the arm fits perfectly now. I wouldn't trade those duals for any catback i've ever had or cutout!!! and it's much cheaper.

as for the torque arm and clearance....it hangs (crossmember) as low as my duals do...you've got about 6 in. of clearance under all of it. you just have to be careful around speed bumps and changes in heights of blacktop in example parking lots going into roadways

I've had it to the track a few times and really can't see the changes that it helped having the arm but it does give me piece of mind that my driveshaft is now not a catapult bar waiting to happen
Old 12-20-2006, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by cjmatt
Kinda OT, but do you have any info on how you did your exhaust

out of the headers straight 3in. pipes back to the axle into 40 series flows straight in and out then anther 12in. turned right down to the ground...that's about the jist of it
Old 12-21-2006, 05:44 PM

Pictures?
Old 12-22-2006, 04:34 AM

well i didn't have my camara with me at the exhaust shop and my phone pics arn't just big enough but i'm off for the holidays so i'll jack it up and snap some pics of everything so you guys will maybe have something to go off of if it'd help in any way.

anything in particular that you want a up really close detail of??? if so let me know so i'll know what to point out and get close enough to

i'll try to do it tomm. for ya
Old 12-22-2006, 08:14 AM

There's nothing wrong with your Y-pipe. Spohn makes a torque arm for stock exhaust, and a different torque arm for LT headers. You probably got the one for stock.

Quick Reply: Anyone had this prob. w/sphon torque arm