Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

anyone that has installed front struts GET in here NOW!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 12:59 PM

The Monroe mounts don't come with the dogbones, they are a seperate part. And I would say keep the STB but put it back on after prom, and when you do put the washers on like trackbird says, directions are there for a reason. 150.00 isn't too bad for the install. But go and buy the dogbones now, or they will use none at all or the old ones, (if you even have them) then you will be no better off/worse than you are now.
Old 05-02-2004, 06:53 PM

I just bought a pair of front shocks for an LT1 car, in excellent shape (shocks, springs and upper mounts, assembled) for $14 and about $15 shipping. Take a look online, you may find a good deal (the upper mounts are excellent on this set).
Old 12-07-2004, 10:39 PM

Re: anyone that has installed front struts GET in here NOW!!!!!!

hahaha. okay, sorry. hahaha!
Old 12-07-2004, 10:57 PM

Are you laughing at my Ebay junkyard specials?

You drug up a 6 month old thread to add no useful info???
Old 11-25-2013, 09:55 AM

To keep from hurting yourself on the ball joint removal %u2014 in LS1Howto.com

Rent (free) a ball joint removal tool. This will keep the ball joint rubber boot 100% intact. inspect the joint for play. If over 110K miles on joint replace the ball joint.
1. completely remove the king pin cotter pin and castle nut.** put something under the spindle arm to prevent it from falling to the ground and tearing the brake line.
2. clamping against on the spindle arm knuckle, apply vise-like tension to the end of the king pin.
3. with king pin under a good amount of tension, RAP the side of the spindle arm where the pin passes through with a ball-peen hammer. The shock of a solid hit will pop the king pin loose. it might pop the tool loose also, so be careful %u2014 wear safety glasses and leather gloves. This works FAST once you get it down.
4. you can KINDA do the same with a pickle fork, if you cat fit the press on the arm BUT it damages the boot and you risk injury to yourself too a bit more with a fork.

**if you just partially remove the castle nut, when the pin pops loose you no longer have something holding the pin stationary and it will spin in the arm while you try to unbolt. This is problematic. the only way I could remove one then is using needle-nose vise grips and piercing the boot to clamp on the pin. Advance Auto sells new boots for $5-10 a pair.

Last edited by cold_surfer; 11-25-2013 at 09:57 AM. Reason: clarify sequence...
Old 11-26-2013, 10:37 PM

Do you realize this thread has not had a reply in 9 years?

The last vehicle I had with king pins was a 50s vintage truck with a straight front axle.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:48 PM

I'm about to start an install of new bilsteins/eibach pro's. It is now snowing here and friggin cold so I am trying to plan this and get it done quick. Other than the spring compressor tool, are any other special tools required?

Here is a pic of what I am attempting to install, bilstein be5-2406 with eibach pro 3801.201.
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/...n/DSC_0789.jpg

In comparing with the orig setup, it looks like I am missing spring mounts and these new Eibachs are a lot wider than the original springs. Are they correct?

update:
It appears as if I have the incorrect front springs. I bought these in a kit years ago and must have purchased the 3rd gen kit. crap.

Last edited by afr lt1; 12-15-2013 at 02:05 PM.