Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Anyone with lowered car with aftermarket torque arm

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 10:48 AM

Anyone with lowered car with aftermarket torque arm

How did you make clearance for emergency brake cable bracket in the trans tunnel?
Old 04-03-2005, 11:27 AM

Re: Anyone with lowered car with aftermarket torque arm

OK. Heres what I ended up doing for my clearance problem. I removed the drive shaft so I could get at the parking brake cable bracket. Drilled out the spot welds (I had 7 of them), and moved the bracket towards the driver side about an inch. and tack welded it back.
It appears that in its original position that the 2 tabs are centered almost dead above the torque arm and the driveshaft. Moving it over gives more clearance for both. I'll confirm the driveshaft clearance when I put in my aluminum shaft.
I also cut out a rectangular section of the trans tunnel on the diverside between the back seats and fabbed a sheetmetal patch that gave clearance for the torque arm where it was hitting the tunnel.
I have to say that I find it interesting that none of the aftermarket torque arm manufacturers mention that if your vehicle is lowered that there will be clearance issues... I would have still purchased but it would've been nice to know in advance that it is no longer a direct bolt-in. The car was basically undriveable until I made further modification and really screwed up my schedule.
Oh well... I guess thats that's Hot Rodding!

drive safe all...
Cruiser
Old 04-03-2005, 07:16 PM

Re: Anyone with lowered car with aftermarket torque arm

My Spohn TA didn't interfere with my parking braking and I have Eibach lowering springs (1" drop). One of the TA mounting bolts interferred with the rear seatbelt bolt; I reversed the bolt on the TA and it cleared fine.