Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Anyway I can upgrade springs WITHOUT lowering the car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 02:57 PM

Anyway I can upgrade springs WITHOUT lowering the car?

I have an 02 Firebird, going to be adding a bit of power in the future and I want it to hook up. However I scrape enough as is with the stock height and I can't imagine going any lower. Is there any way I can get some traction and better springs without lowering?
Old 10-07-2009, 05:37 PM

Lowering is not required to get power to the ground. In fact if you only lower you will increase wheel hop and lose traction. to get the power on the road start out with an aftermarket set of lower control arms. Lower control arm relocation brackets will help move your instant center back and give you even more traction. Next at the very least get a poly torque arm mount, better to just get an aftermarket torque arm. Good shocks will help as well.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by LearJet
Lowering is not required to get power to the ground. In fact if you only lower you will increase wheel hop and lose traction. to get the power on the road start out with an aftermarket set of lower control arms. Lower control arm relocation brackets will help move your instant center back and give you even more traction. Next at the very least get a poly torque arm mount, better to just get an aftermarket torque arm. Good shocks will help as well.
Thats a relief. What about handling? It doesnt necessarily need to be a race car but I would like to beable to take sharp curves.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:57 PM

Thats where the springs would help you. But, aftermarket sway bars, subframe connectors, and a strut tower brace will make an amazing difference in cornering. Again, good shocks and tires on all four corners too.

Edit: actually subframe connectors are almost a must, do them before anything else.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by LearJet
Thats where the springs would help you. But, aftermarket sway bars, subframe connectors, and a strut tower brace will make an amazing difference in cornering. Again, good shocks and tires on all four corners too.

Edit: actually subframe connectors are almost a must, do them before anything else.
Cool. If I did have to lower the car alittle, is there any way I can just slightly lower it? Maybe half an inch? My guess is aftermarket springs arnt really much more special than stockers other than the lowering effect eh? I was thinking of staggering half an inch at the rear to if necessary an inch at the front.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:44 AM

You could get like Hotchkis springs, they only lower your car like an inch or so I think. The biggest improvement from springs is actually from the spring rate, not the amount they lower the car. I bet someone makes springs that don't lower the car if you look.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:13 AM

1LE springs are stiffer but stock height. That's what I'm using on my car. I even have an extra set of them for the rear if you want to buy them.