Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

A-arms.....!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Exclamation A-arms.....!!!!!

Ok... got these damn things out ..... now how do I get all these old bushing and balljoints off of them? Can I just beat the hell out of them till they fall off... or can is this one of those moments where I need a press or some other magical tool I don't own?

And how do I put the new ones in... do I just beat them in place? or is this another press moment?

Thanks...
Old 05-19-2004, 06:24 PM

The lower ball joints are pressed in, the uppers are riveted if they are factory or bolted if they are aftermarket. I took they a arms off and took them to a shop to have them pressed in. If you rent a press and do it yourself remeber not to put pressure on the inner part of the lower ball joint or you will destroy it. bushings are also pressed in.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

THanks... I've decided to just beat the hell out of these things... Now where is my Heavy Mallet!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-19-2004, 06:59 PM

go to a shop they'll press the old ones out & press new ones in.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:30 AM
Administrator

The bushings can be melted out with a propane torch..... very messy. The ES poly replacement bushings will assemble with nothing more than a c-clamp to push them in.
Old 05-20-2004, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

How do I... get this dang bushing out? ... theres a lip.. and I can't seem to knock it out...mallet keeps getting caught...

Also how do I get the dang Lower balljoint out?

Machine shop round here says they don't do A-arms...

Damnit... I need to get this done without the use of a Press...or anything other than a propane torch and mallet... how do I get this out?
Old 05-20-2004, 02:29 PM
Administrator

You might want to be a little more specific about which bushing you are talking about.... upper a-arm, lower a-arm horizontal or lower a-arm vertical. Each one is a slightly different configuration.

As noted in the replies to your question... they press out or they melt out. If you are intent on beating the **** out of the a-arms, you're on your own.
Old 05-20-2004, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

I figured out how to get the bushing out... I used a chizzle and beat the **** out of it... then the Bushing came out... and I did use the torch method to get the bushings out....But this damn Lower Ball joint aint budging... No shoppes around here will pop it out. How do I gets the dang thing out? I've been beating the hell out of it with my mallet for half an hour with no luck dangit... Damn I hate being poor... which I could afford to buy them fancy A-arms that go with the K-member...
Old 05-20-2004, 10:15 PM
Advanced Member

anyone....? I beg you!
Old 05-21-2004, 06:39 AM
Administrator

Have you considered taking the A-arm to a dealer? They have the exact tool required to press the old ball joint out and press the new one in. Even if you manage to get the old one out with the hammer, how do you plan to get the new one in?

The "GM" tool for ball joint removal is little more than a sophisticated C-clamp. You might even be able to rent one. Doesn't even need a hydraulic press. However, any good machine shop or auto repair shop will have a simple press that will allow instantaneous removal and replacement. There has to be at least one of those on the "EAstCOast".
Old 05-24-2004, 09:22 AM

Ihope you did't beat out the metal shells with the bushings. I used the prothane kit but I think they are very similar and You have to leave and reuse all the metal pieces. I used an airchisel to remove my bushings(and shells) before I "translated" the destructions into plain english. I had to buy new rubber bushings from autozone burn the bushings out of those(fireplace worked great) then install new shells and bushings together. I checked a couple shops to press them out but they could't due to the shape of the A-arms. I used the balljoint press tool they loan out at autozone to do all the pressing, it's 100 dollar deposit but you get that back and the tool makes it soooo much easier. The rears are very simple and should come with new shells and everything just press out and press in type deal( just be carefull not to bend your arms with the press they're pretty weak). Good luck with the battle this was the toughest thing I've done to my car so far, but well worth it.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:21 PM

Has anyone ever used something similar to this tool? Its a bushing driver set that JP Whitney sells. I'm considering purchasing if its cheaper than having a machine shop charge me for each press.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/...Group&ss=10101

Last edited by TerryZ28; 05-24-2004 at 01:49 PM.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:51 PM

you can buy that cheap ball joint tool that Injuneer speaks of for about $20-$25
just a big C-clamp with a couple of cups to fit over the ball joint to center the clamping force onto it
Harbor Freight carries them, i imagine most auto parts stores would carry them also
Old 05-24-2004, 02:50 PM

Auto Zone will lend you the ball joint press for free. Do not attempt to beat them out/in, you will most likely ruin the control arm. You will also use the ball joint press to remove the bushing shells. The old bushings themselves have to be burned out.