Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

ASR / ABS Lights...

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 11:38 PM

ASR / ABS Lights...

Hey guys i recently beagan having a quriky little intermittent. Occasionally, out of nowhere, my ABS inop and ASR off light come on on the IC. Of course when it happens, it is telling the truth. Thing is, i'm pretty certain in only happens on rainy days. (Ironic, when else do you need it most?) If i shut the car off and restart, 90% of the time it will go away. Is there a common location that is a problem area? Or has anyone else sucessfully troubleshot something of this nature? Not a dire emergency obviously, just **************** annoying...
TIA!
Old 02-25-2006, 06:32 AM

Re: ASR / ABS Lights...

Both the ABS INOP and the ASR indicators will come on to indicate there is a system failure. The ASR light can also be on if the driver chooses to shut the ASR system off.
Just in case your problems are not related, check the 3rd brake light to see if it is functioning. I believe it is and is not related to your problem but hey it's a 5 second check so best eliminate it from the cause "pile".

Since you didn't indicate the light is on before the car starts to move, this indicates it could be a soft code for the ABS system. Wheel sensors are soft codes and it just so happens the ASR is only interested in the rear wheels. Therefore the safe bet for now is there is a problem with the rear wheel sensors.

Try unplugging the sensors and plugging them back in. Check the wiring while you're there. If that doesn't help, try doing the same thing with the plugs on the EBTCM. Located above the left foot up under the dash. Silver box with 1 screw holding it in place.

The absolute best thing at this point you could do is have it scanned for codes and proceed from there. If you need help from there with the code, let us know. You may have to PM me if want my help as I don't often frequent this area. But I'm sure there are more than capable people here.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:49 AM

Speedy, thanks for the info! Wouls a scan find the problem even if it is an intermittent? Interestingly enough, the problem has gone away again. I'd have to guess water getting somewhere, maybe a sensor, due to the fact that is has not rained since the trouble, and the problem has completely gone away. Only in the rain does this problem seem to occur, or shortly thereafter.....guess i may just have to silicone or otherwise protect sensor/wiring connections...Hopefully during that process, something will jump out at me....
Old 02-28-2006, 12:29 PM

My 95 V-6 is doing the same thing... but now the ABS inop Lights stays on...

i drove the car the last week when it rained and the Brake pedal went all the way to the floor b4 it stopped.. Hopefully we can find out what wrong with it.. keep me posted on how yours is going...
Old 02-28-2006, 02:22 PM

Absolutely have it checked out! I had a similar problem with mine years ago...would come on...then go out for a while, etc...I checked the wheel sensors, etc... and nothing fixed the problem. Eventually it burned out both the ABS computer and control module. Yep...expensive fix. When I asked the dealer about it they said the it was probably a small problem with the control module and since it was not fixed when the problem was first noticed...it eventually burned out the ABS computer as well.

I know this may sound weird to some since the most common problem is with the wheel sensors...however...I highly suggest taking it to a reputable dealer and have them diagnose it...it may cost you a bit more now, but could save you loads later...trust me, I learned the hard way.

By the way...I've had ZERO problems with the car since...this was 5 years ago.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by fuzzyz28
Absolutely have it checked out! I had a similar problem with mine years ago...would come on...then go out for a while, etc...I checked the wheel sensors, etc... and nothing fixed the problem. Eventually it burned out both the ABS computer and control module. Yep...expensive fix. When I asked the dealer about it they said the it was probably a small problem with the control module and since it was not fixed when the problem was first noticed...it eventually burned out the ABS computer as well.

I know this may sound weird to some since the most common problem is with the wheel sensors...however...I highly suggest taking it to a reputable dealer and have them diagnose it...it may cost you a bit more now, but could save you loads later...trust me, I learned the hard way.

By the way...I've had ZERO problems with the car since...this was 5 years ago.
huh

control module and computer are the same thing?
Old 02-28-2006, 07:09 PM

Fuzzy, thanks for the advice, i think i am going to check the sensors, and then if it happens again, i will consider bringing it in for service......I know those parts aren't cheap!
Old 03-02-2006, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dave89IROC
huh

control module and computer are the same thing?
Ok...I think I used the word "module" in the wrong sense...but there IS actually two components...there is a brake control motor and ABS computer...there are two separate part numbers...labled that way from the dealer.

sorry for any confusion...but there are two components...I guess three if you include the wheel sensors.

Anyway...have it checked just to be on the safe side.

Trust me though...I basically had to rebuild the entire ABS system becuase of letting the above situation go way to long without proper attention.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:21 AM

I have a 2000 V6 ABS without TCS. My "ABS Inop" and red "Brake" light come on consistently after 1 mile above 50 mph. Ignition "off-on" resets the warning lights. Have checked all the connections, ohm'd all three sensors and removed the rear sensor to wipe off any metal filings. Last time out (in the rain), the warning lights never came on...making me think it was a simple ground issue and not a $500 Brake Module.

Went thru and cleaned all the ground connections I could find and ohm'd all the terminals in the connector to the Brake Control Module...still have the problem.

The brakes - new rotors, pads & calipers - work fine, and the ABS works even when the light says "Inop".

The Corvettes of the same period have a history of bad brake modules (Bosch-Delphi Units). Is there a significant issue with the Brake Modules on the Camaro..?

Next step is the Dealer for a tech-2 analysis.
Old 10-28-2006, 12:50 PM
Administrator

The "BRAKE" light indicates a pressure imbalance in the front and rear braking systems. Get that checked, because its usually not an electrical problem, unless the pressure differential switch gets stuck and the "BRAKE" light stays on continuously. The pressure switch is on the rectangular block on the side of the ABS motor, where the lines from the master cylinder connect.

Make sure the fluid level in the master cylinder is not low enough to allow air into the system, then look for leaks at the calipers and all the hose connections and line fittings. If no signs of leaks, have the brakes bled, using the correct procedure for an ABS equipped car. If that doesn't solve it, have the master cylinder checked for internal leaks.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:20 AM

Thanks for the tip. I have the FSM and did not notice anything special about bleeding the brakes.

I have a 96 Corvette with the Bosch system and ASR (there is no slip or traction on the Camaro in question), and there is a lot of noise on the Corvette forums as to whether that system can be bled correctly without a special Dealer tool/system...in effect, once air gets into the Corvette ABS system, it's impossible to remove without the Dealer involvement to manually cycle the solenoids/pumps.

Question: Can the Camaro brakes be bled in the normal (simple) method? If I did get air into the ABS system, will it come out with bleeding thru the calipers, or do I have to bleed the master first, then the ABS, then the calipers...?

The FSM does contain a wealth of info, but it's not always where you expect to find it...kind of scattered thru-out and difficult to see everything about a topic in one place.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by DMGroh
Thanks for the tip. I have the FSM and did not notice anything special about bleeding the brakes.

I have a 96 Corvette with the Bosch system and ASR (there is no slip or traction on the Camaro in question), and there is a lot of noise on the Corvette forums as to whether that system can be bled correctly without a special Dealer tool/system...in effect, once air gets into the Corvette ABS system, it's impossible to remove without the Dealer involvement to manually cycle the solenoids/pumps.

Question: Can the Camaro brakes be bled in the normal (simple) method? If I did get air into the ABS system, will it come out with bleeding thru the calipers, or do I have to bleed the master first, then the ABS, then the calipers...?

The FSM does contain a wealth of info, but it's not always where you expect to find it...kind of scattered thru-out and difficult to see everything about a topic in one place.
I have had some luck bleeding them without a scan tool, first bleed normal, then go make some ABS stops, them bleed agaian, some more stops, and keep repeating until no more air comes out
Old 10-29-2006, 11:36 AM
Administrator

I've never looked at the FSM, but the Chiltons F-Body manual indicates that if you have had an ABS code, the motors may have to be homed with a Tech-2 before the brakes can be correctly bled. If you didn't have a code, there is no special procedure required, but you do have to bleed the ABS module.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
....but you do have to bleed the ABS module.
No Brake codes, but that's my point. Are there any tech tips or advice specifically about bleeding the ABS module (other than the previous post)??

Is it done separate from (and in addition to) the routine caliper bleed..?

I cannot find any obvious bleed screws on my ABS unit; only the 4 wheel lines and the 2 lines going to the Master Cyl. Are those connections opened up in order to bleed the ABS..?

Last edited by DMGroh; 10-29-2006 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:00 AM
Administrator

Problem is you've got a Corvette, and this is an F-Body bulletin board. Not as likely than anyone knows the specifics of your setup. The F-Body ABS modules have two conventional bleeder valves on them, and you start there in your bleeding procedure. I don't even know who makes the F-Body systems.

Quick Reply: ASR / ABS Lights...