Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Bad rack cause pulling??

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 09:26 PM

Bad rack cause pulling??

so I had my inner and outer tie rods changed. my car has been pulling to the right even after an alignment. Still the same after the tie rod change. The left seal on the rack was leaking. There was some fluid inside that rubber boot.
Will the left side cause the car to pull to the right? I'm hoping that is the problem....
Old 06-17-2004, 11:04 PM

a leaking rack should not cause a pull. did you notice an improvement after the alingnment? sometimes the tires cup if they are drivin with poor alingnment for some time. this will cause the car to pull when the alignment is corrected. you could try swapping your tires around to see if that makes a difference. if not you probably have another suspension problem,
Old 06-18-2004, 10:30 AM

Yes, I did notice an improvement. It will only "drift" to the right now, not a sudden pull to the right. When driving I have to keep slight pressure the the left to go in a straight line.
I noticed a huge difference in the feel of the stearing with the new tie rod ends. Seems nice and tight now.
I will rotate the tires this weekend to check that too...
Thanks!
Old 06-24-2004, 07:39 PM

I have much the same problem with my car. It's a 91 Z I just bought earlier this year and thought it just needed an alignment. $1500 later it still drifts LEFT and I have to hold the wheel to the right to drive straight. I know that F-bodies tend to follow rain grooves, but I also own a 95 Z and it is nowhere near the instability of this car. So far I have replaced the front sway bar links, the wheel bearings repacked, new shocks and struts, new brakes all around, and new lower ball joints. I am hoping both of us will be able to get some help from this message board. (Sorry I am riding on your coattails, but I've found that if you put up additional posts with similar content you get heckled pretty bad)
Old 06-25-2004, 07:48 PM
S.E. Region Moderator

Sort of unrelated, but my Dodge Intrepid pulls to the right even with an alignment and new tires. Although my mother did wreck it a few years back. Maybe the previous owner toasted it into the center median on the interstate like my mom did?