Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Bad Rear Wheel Bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 06:55 PM

Bad Rear Wheel Bearing? - NEED HELP PLEASE!!!!!!

Have had a noise/vibration coming from driver's side rear of car for quite some time but over the past couple of months it has gotten steadily worse. It only happens when going over bumps and it feels as if something is loose in the rear end, however I have'nt been able to find anything..... until tonight.

I pulled off the driver side rear tire and then proceeded to "move" the wheel hub assembly. There is lateral movement in/out when I pull on the lug nuts and the movement is visible. Also, I can feel movement up/down but there is not movement front/back. All of this is while holding the lug nuts and moving the entire wheel hub assembly.

I tried to repeat the same results on the passenger but did not get hardly any movement at all, at least not a noticeable one.

Does this mean that the wheel bearing is shot and does anyone have any idea how bad it is to change out?

Last edited by goin2dc; 10-21-2004 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:24 PM

Re: Bad Rear Wheel Bearing?

I'll try to help you out and some may chime in any time. Jack up the car, grab the tire at 9 oclock and 3 oclock and wiggle it, try it again at 12 and 6. If it wiggles pretty bad...then just assum you have a spun wheel bearing. I havent done one in a very long time...but I'm pretty sure the only "special" tool I used was a bearing presser.
Old 10-19-2004, 06:13 AM

I don't get a lot of "wiggle" when I move it like you suggested but I do get some movement. When I pulled the rotor off I quit a bit of grease build up around the wheel hub assembly which I think means that my seal is shot.

How hard was it to pull the axle shaft out? I am skeptical to try it but just want to try to find out the cause of all of the vibration in my car. I just can find anything else that I might be.
Old 10-19-2004, 04:06 PM

I'm not sure about the grease build up...doest sound normal and I would assume that your seal is shot. Someone could chime in any time and help with this!!!

Man...tring to remember how to take out the axle shaft.

I do remeber draining the rearend (of course), unscrew the screw for the pinion shaft and take it out of the diff., and remove the rear axle shaft lock. You'll have to push on the axle shaft flange (outside of car) into the diff to acess the lock.

And I do remeber that stupid reculator wheel on the axle shaft. If you damage it...your screwed

Sorry I dont remeber much more it was a very long time ago and I just have a 9 inch with a spool.
Old 10-19-2004, 06:49 PM

Piece of cake, pull the wheel off, remove the 2 15MM bolts that hold the caliper and cage to the rear end housing, then remove the rear cover from the rear end you will have to put it in Neutral to rol the carrier around untill you see a little 5/16 bolt that goes in from the RT, Horizontally, with the axles, use a 6 point socket to remove the little bolt (use a 6 point socket because it's easy to round off) once that is out, the cross pin should slide out, you may have to tap/ beat it out with a hammer. once that is out, push in the axle you want to remove and the c-clip should come out, fall out etc. When the c-clip is out the axle will slide out. Look at the axle where the bearing rides and check to see if its all chewed up/ pitted if it is replace the seal and the bearing, and the axle!! re assemble in the oppicite order. and refill with fluid. If you need parts I know a place that you can get parts for way less tahn GM and is good quality. PM me or e-mail IF you need to.
matt
Old 10-19-2004, 06:51 PM

Talking Re: Bad Rear Wheel Bearing?

Originally Posted by tryintogofast
Piece of cake, pull the wheel off, remove the 2 15MM bolts that hold the caliper and cage to the rear end housing, then remove the rear cover from the rear end you will have to put it in Neutral to rol the carrier around untill you see a little 5/16 bolt that goes in from the RT, Horizontally, with the axles, use a 6 point socket to remove the little bolt (use a 6 point socket because it's easy to round off) once that is out, the cross pin should slide out, you may have to tap/ beat it out with a hammer. once that is out, push in the axle you want to remove and the c-clip should come out, fall out etc. When the c-clip is out the axle will slide out. Look at the axle where the bearing rides and check to see if its all chewed up/ pitted if it is replace the seal and the bearing, and the axle!! re assemble in the oppicite order. and refill with fluid. If you need parts I know a place that you can get parts for way less tahn GM and is good quality. PM me or e-mail IF you need to.
matt
Sorry that was me, Mikey must have been surfing at my house.......
Matt
Old 10-19-2004, 07:36 PM

Yea, what he said. Also...you didnt have to worry about the reluctor gear for abs or anything? Sorry its been a really long time.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:09 AM

Thanks for all of the help. The seal is definitely shot. I compared it to the passenger side and it looked totally different. Pass side was bone dry, no evidence of any leakage.

I'll let you know how it goes. Not sure if I'll get to it today though, got to watch Game 7!!!!!
Old 10-21-2004, 08:46 PM

NEED HELP!!!!!!! Got the bearing and axle shaft replaced but I can't get the pinion gear shaft back in. It appears that something has "shifted" in the carrier and is partially blocking the hole that the pinion gear shaft fits through.

Anyone have any suggestions?