Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

.....bad ride quality......and lowering springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 11:43 PM

.....bad ride quality......and lowering springs

I am writing this because I am trying to understand why my car ride quality sucks. I take it that it will tend to suck more when the car is lowered...which is why my first thing is to lift it back to stock height..or if not the BMR springs should be really good. I have it at stock height in the back because of the 17x11 and in the front I have the Eibach pro kit, which is low. I wonder if that's the real reason I am so disspointed in the ride quality. Anyone have any opinions on the different springs. So far Eibach sucks and I am very unhappy. I need feedback because I am looking on getting my springs changed really soon. Thanks for any feedback
Old 03-23-2004, 12:32 AM

Don't hold me too this but I think the sway bars cant keep up when you drop cars. I'm not sure if its true for all cars but it could be your case. Good luck dude.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:36 AM

it's funny, I was thinking that today.....I have the strut tower bar, which made a difference, but in reality, you don't think the stock GM ones can hold on to the car? I was thinking of swapping out with BMR lowering springs in the front...hopefully it will raise the front another inch....from it's current two inch drop and then seeing what a front and rear sway bar upgrade would do. Also, do you think ride quality is affected heavily by 285's in the front vs. 275's? Lemme know what you know, any info would be appreciated. Thanks

by the way....do they make a rear tower bar for camaro's....or do they not because LS1's don't have struts in the back? Something that will stabalize the rear end when I go over bumps, feel's like the rear is going t give out when I go over rough roads....

thanks for any info

Last edited by WipeOutXXL; 03-23-2004 at 12:38 AM.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:50 AM

Only thing I can think of for a 'rear strut tower brace' type thing would be a 4 point cage...or 6...or 8, haha, you get the idea. And about the sway bars, lol, I could explain it to you but I don't think you'd get it. I'm doing motions with my hands but...you cant see me. I don't think you'd see a difference between the 285 vs 275. When you say ride quality though, does that include road noise? It does for me and obviously the wider the tire the more noise. The other added 'bonus' is more unsprung weight. Don't get too excited about what I say, one of the 'big dogs' will chime in in a minute and put me to shame lol. Late...
Old 03-23-2004, 01:28 AM

if you wanna improve your ride...get shocks.
the stock decarbons suck, and their suckiness simply shows more with higher rate lowering springs.
swaybars really only show benefits while turning.
shocks is really what's gonna help your general ride quality.

most anybody would recommend either not getting a larger swaybar in the rear, or getting one that is just slightly larger.
as far as the front swaybar.....upgrading to a larger bar all the way up to a 35mm solid bar is a step in the right direction for help in cornering.

you have a 2" drop in the front? is that the eibach sportlines rather than the pro kit?

so yeah....if you do have a 2" drop in the front, you are severely limiting the suspension travel, and creating the necessity for a very firm front suspension so as to not have to worry about bottoming out as frequently.

as far as your rear goes....you've got 315 rubber in the back searching for traction so while the tires are grabbing, the suspension isn't there to hold the car in place while the tires grab...so guess what sways about.....the car....the chassis.

hope this helped some, and if i totally screwed up somewhere, someone please chime in and correct me....
Old 03-23-2004, 04:18 AM

thanks a lot for the response Lucas and Kwik, this is good info....I didn't think about unsprung weight, I uaully related that just to my motorcycle....didn't think it would make much of a difference with a car. As far as shocks go I just changed out the stock Bilstien's with the same ones. Good catch on the Eibach's, yeah their the sportlines....makes the car look mean but I'm hoping the BMR's will help improve my ride quality.....any other suggestions from people?
Old 03-23-2004, 11:37 AM

stock bilsteins? you have an SS i'm assuming with i'm guessing some sort of slp package.....

even still....i doubt the stock bilsteins with stock valving would be really up to par with the sportlines...i could be wrong....

but as you had mentioned earlier, maybe going with the bmr springs might benefit the woes you are having with your ride quality.

and as far as i know....more unsprung weight is a bad thing....unless KwikistZ was joking about it being a "bonus".
Old 03-23-2004, 02:25 PM

Originally posted by Lucas Black
and as far as i know....more unsprung weight is a bad thing....unless KwikistZ was joking about it being a "bonus".
Sarcasms a b!tch aint it?
Old 03-23-2004, 05:05 PM

Originally posted by KwikistZ
Sarcasms a b!tch aint it?
indeed
Old 04-04-2004, 03:13 AM

I have never rode in a car with eibachs, but I hear that DMS springs give a better ride. I am not sure how they compare with BMR springs.

Good luck
Old 04-04-2004, 05:21 AM

Do you by chance have a shot of the car with that low stance? I'd like to see how that looks. Thanks man...late...
Old 04-04-2004, 07:39 AM

SPRINGS

Maybe I misread your post, but if you have a 2inch drop in the front and stock height in the back that would seem to be the biggest problem. Either lower both or have them both at stock height. Get that evened out and then get some quality shocks IMO.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:45 AM

I can't, if the front is stock, then the rear end is lower. i have almost 150 pounds of stereo equipment in the back right now. So I am going to use the BMR springs to get about even between stock and lowered....
Old 04-07-2004, 01:02 PM

the springs i was talking to you about would be PERFECT.

right now my back end is up a tab bit because i have no weight in there thats unneeded and with an extra 150 in back it would make the stance PERFECT.

just some food for thought
Old 04-07-2004, 05:43 PM

your tires can have a huge effect on your ride quality. i had some crap toyos on my car and it was a pretty smooth ride i went to eagle f1's and you can feel every stick in the road it sucks for ride quality but i will never give up the turnig ability i have with these new tires