Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

is this a bad shock?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 10:45 PM

is this a bad shock?

it has just recently started to cool down here in florida, and since the cooler weather has come in, ive noticed an annoying squeek coming from the front driver side wheel when going over bumps. not all the time, but almost always.

i assume this is my stock shock going bad, but before i waste money, i want to make sure thats what it is. do bad shocks squeek? is there anything else i should check that could be making the noise?

i recently lowered the car, could that have killed the stockers?
Old 12-22-2004, 12:19 AM

Re: is this a bad shock?

In Colorado, I've noticed that under big temperature swings, rubber bushings can sometimes make some noise (usually when it's colder out). I'm not saying that is what happened in your case, but something to keep in mind.
Old 12-22-2004, 05:13 AM

could be the first signs of a bad brake pad.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:46 AM

could be an axle bearing too if there are enough miles on it. mine was squeeking on hard turns and speed bumps when i had to replace the c-clips and bearings...it was easier and better for me to get an ls1 axle though, now i have better gears and breaks, and it's painted black too.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:52 PM

its not a brake pad, those are all new, and it only happens when going over a bump.

its not an axle, because its definetly coming from the front left
Old 12-23-2004, 11:27 AM

just because it's only coming from the left doesnt mean anything at all, my squeek came from the right and it was the bearings for the axle...the left one looked fine but i replaced it any way. you need to pinpoint which wheel it's coming from, that would really help to determine a bearing, spring, bushint or rub. it could also be the spring - perch area. check for bare metal to metal spots on the spring where it mounts to the axle/a-arms. if the spring rubbed off all the powdercoat then every time it slightly moves there will be a squeek. i had this problem as well and solved it with coolant hose.

another suggestion, dont eliminate any options just because it's unlikely. that's been my problem in the past is i thought just because i replaced the pads recently that i didnt need to replace them again when i got a set of really crappy pads. i rebuilt calipers, greased bushings, replaced rotors...and once i replaced the pads all was well.

hope you find the problem soon, i know when i have squeeks i cant stand them