Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Ball joints too large?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 01:58 PM

Ball joints too large?

I took my front lower control arms to a shop to have the ball joints pressed out and new ones pressed in. I bought generic joints from Autozone for the replacements. One of them pressed in fine, but the other one would not even come close to going back in. We measured the diameter of the old one vs the new one and noticed that the old joint measured 275mm and the new one measured 295mm. These are NOT the oversized joints. I know that there will be some compression of the ball joint when its installed but 20mm on an interference fit seems extreme? I though they may have given me an incorrect part but no such luck. I tried a different brand and got the same thing. They simply cannot press it in no matter how hard or how many times they try. I've ordered a Delco part to see if I get better luck with it. Anyone have any suggestions if this one doesn't work either?
Old 03-22-2007, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by irocbsa
I took my front lower control arms to a shop to have the ball joints pressed out and new ones pressed in. I bought generic joints from Autozone for the replacements. One of them pressed in fine, but the other one would not even come close to going back in. We measured the diameter of the old one vs the new one and noticed that the old joint measured 275mm and the new one measured 295mm. These are NOT the oversized joints. I know that there will be some compression of the ball joint when its installed but 20mm on an interference fit seems extreme? I though they may have given me an incorrect part but no such luck. I tried a different brand and got the same thing. They simply cannot press it in no matter how hard or how many times they try. I've ordered a Delco part to see if I get better luck with it. Anyone have any suggestions if this one doesn't work either?
I used moog from carquest they worked.