Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Balljoint replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 10:25 PM

Balljoint replacement

I have just completed reviving my car after sitting for three years, and now that I can drive it, I have found the ball joints are almost gone. I have heard that the baljoints are riveted on, and have also heard they are welded on. I'm planning on replacing my upper and lower a arms with BMR pieces, as soon as I have the funds, which include new ball joints. My point is, if the balljoints are a pain to install, I'll just wait until I can afford the new ones before I drive it much. If anyone with experience in this could give me some advice, I'd appreciate it
Old 10-06-2004, 10:35 PM

Re: Balljoint replacement

I would wait; due to safety reasons, and get the problem fixed... If the ball joint goes and you are on the highway.... Ouch....
Old 10-07-2004, 12:58 AM

Re: Balljoint replacement

I just did all 4 the other weekend. The upper balljoints are riveted. You will need to drill them out then hit them with a hammer and they will come out easy. Upper ones are a piece of cake.

The lower ones are more complicated. You will need a balljoint press for that. I rented one from Autozone. It is kinda complicated to get that tool to work, but it can be done.

Taking them out may be a little scary... I had to use a real long extension to torque the bolt on the press until it popped. I thought I cracked the a-arm, but it was the balljoint. The passenger side did not pop, but you should be careful with them anyway. Taking these out is also not that complicated.

The complicated part is pressing in the new balljoint. You have to get the tool seated properly and at the right angle for them to go in correctly, but it can be done.