Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

batter handeling

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 11:38 PM

batter handeling

I have this worry of driving my car hard on corners or switching lanes hard ever since a kid I know cut around someone on a turn and car slid out and totaled his z28.
I figured I would ask all you other z28 owners how you drive and what I could do to improve the handeling of my 95z
I know subframe connectors but there are so many to choose from
I don't really know wut the best suspenion setup would be
Old 09-13-2004, 10:40 AM

Re: batter handeling

No amount of suspension mods will prevent wrecks due to bad driving.

I cut around a truck and went sideways once. You drive past on the left and turn right to get back into your lane. Everything is fine at this point but when to start to steer back to the left to straighen out the rear can whip to the right (Oversteer). I got sideways at about 50-60mph. I was able to steer into the skid and it came back around. More luck than skill.

What would have helped me avoid this? Only better smoother driving on my part.

The problem with mods is the tendency for more abrupt slides with less warning. You handling limits are higher but when it lets go you have less warning.

I am in the process of changing over to 1LE suspension arms bars and shocks.

If I was doing it over again, I would go with the Strano 35mm front bar, stock rear bar and bilsteins/ SA Konis. This is what he suggests and it seems reasonable and he runs the setup. I went with Koni DA and a 32mm 1LE front and stock rear bar with 1LE springs.

Subframe connectors should be your last mod for handling, I am going with the SLP bolt on. I am also mounting 13" C5 brakes and 275/40/17 AVS 100's.

I will know soon how it works, be prepared for many rusted bolts and a difficult disassembly. I have a 95 Z28 also.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:58 AM

TIRES
All the best suspension parts in the world arent going to help you if your tires suck.
Get some nice sticky tires, get 275 40R17 on a 17x9" wheel if you can afford it.

That right there will give you must better handling.
After thatsome nice shocks with some nice springs and a larger front sway bar.
I like the SLP shocks and springs, (not the takeoffs) but if you want a bit lower then that then the prokit and the strano revalved bilstiends are a good buy, and will give you better handling then the SLP stuff.
as for sway bar, if your a daily driver I wouldnt get the strano 35, but I would get the 1LE or the SLP sway, they are both very nice and wont make the car twitchy.

Oh and get subframe connectors anyways, you'll thank yourself for it.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Xride
TIRES
All the best suspension parts in the world arent going to help you if your tires suck.
Get some nice sticky tires, get 275 40R17 on a 17x9" wheel if you can afford it.

That right there will give you must better handling.
After thatsome nice shocks with some nice springs and a larger front sway bar.
I like the SLP shocks and springs, (not the takeoffs) but if you want a bit lower then that then the prokit and the strano revalved bilstiends are a good buy, and will give you better handling then the SLP stuff.
as for sway bar, if your a daily driver I wouldnt get the strano 35, but I would get the 1LE or the SLP sway, they are both very nice and wont make the car twitchy.

Oh and get subframe connectors anyways, you'll thank yourself for it.

Sounds like good advice to me.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:51 PM

Drive slower.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
Drive slower.
Now that's not any fun.

I don't think anyone purchased a camaro to drive slow.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:05 PM

thanks for all of the replies, I was thinking of gettin that LGM sfc with the diamonds and drive shaft loop package next, I heard that LGM was the most strongest..
Then I was thinkin about gettin some really nice billistein shocks all around with eibach prokit

how does that setup sound so far, good????