Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

bent axles help!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 09:27 AM

bent axles help!!

Ok so a few nights ago I was forced over a curb by some jerk in a mustang and it has done substantial damage to my 02 z28 . So far I've replaced both rear tires and had both rear wheels straightened . I've got my car on jack stands right now and I've identified my passenger side axle shaft as bent to hell but my problem now is that since I don't have a posi rear end I can only get my passengerside axle to spin . How can I make the driverside axle to spin to check it for a bend? Ill be replacing my panhard bar also as it is bent almost touching the differential housing. Also where else should I check for damage? I really appreciate any help or tips/advice since this is my daily driver and im having to catch rides until I can get her back in shape . Thanks
Old 10-06-2011, 10:22 AM

Re: bent axles help!!

use something to stop the passenger side tire from spinning and the driver side will spin. good luck
Old 10-06-2011, 11:22 AM

Something ? Maybe disconnect the brake caliper from the drivers side and keep my foot on the brake pedal? Not sure what else I could use to stop it without potentially causing any more damage... also the wheels are off of the car since I already know for sure one axle is bent
Old 10-06-2011, 12:42 PM

a crow bar placed in the wheel studs on an angle will stop that side from spinning, if you are spinning it by hand.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by BC2002SS
a crow bar placed in the wheel studs on an angle will stop that side from spinning, if you are spinning it by hand.
It wont spin by hand I have to put the car in drive And let the hub spin freely
Old 10-07-2011, 08:32 AM

If it won't spin by hand then something is messed up. With the rear off the ground you should be able to spin either rear tire if you do not have a posi. If you put the tranny in neutral you should be able to spin both at the same time if you do have a posi.

If one wheel isn't turning by hand, then something is preventing it. Brake caliper, bad bearing, etc.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by 97FormulaWS-6
If it won't spin by hand then something is messed up. With the rear off the ground you should be able to spin either rear tire if you do not have a posi. If you put the tranny in neutral you should be able to spin both at the same time if you do have a posi.

If one wheel isn't turning by hand, then something is preventing it. Brake caliper, bad bearing, etc.
Thanks I found the problem both axle shafts bent I just had to put a jack under the rear ens to simulate the "load" got them swapped out in about 2 1/2 hrs. ( not my first axle swap) and swapped horribly bent panhard bar ...