Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Is this Bent lower radiator Support fixable?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 02:59 PM

Is this Bent lower radiator Support fixable?

Hey guys. This isnt my car, but my lower radiator support looks just about like his. Mines bent and its causing the car to overheat because the air dam isnt bringing enough air to the radiator. Is there a way to fix this or will I have to do some cutting and welding? Its not causing me any other problems other than the overheating.. The radiator is good and there arent any kinked hoses. In fact, it didnt overheat until I got it back from the body shop where I had a wings west front GFX put on it. I think the front spoiler is causing the problem, but I cant add an extension to my air dam until I get the support fixed. Thanks for your help.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:10 AM

Ouch, yours looks like that? Did you hit something? A body shop might be able to salvage it, but I don't know about doing it yourself. If you did hit something, did you have the subframe checked for straightness?
Old 04-02-2008, 07:44 AM

Mines not as bad, but its enough to curve the air dam. Subframe is fine. The guy I bought it from ran it off the road and hit a dirt pile. argh..
Old 04-02-2008, 10:22 AM

I recently cut my lower rad support off. Re_fabbed with a new piece. Used the motor motor compartment (MC) rail flanges for a new support. I also cut/ trashed the top rad support also, and, moved the rad forward and down a bit. Lots of room now. Needed room for vac-pump drive mod. Made the support from simple 2x3/16" / 1"x1/8" strip stock available @ any Depot/ hardware store. You need a MIG welder. Just tape measure to the A_arm pivot for distance an check hood closing clearance. B.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by mzgp5x
I recently cut my lower rad support off. Re_fabbed with a new piece. Used the motor motor compartment (MC) rail flanges for a new support. I also cut/ trashed the top rad support also, and, moved the rad forward and down a bit. Lots of room now. Needed room for vac-pump drive mod. Made the support from simple 2x3/16" / 1"x1/8" strip stock available @ any Depot/ hardware store. You need a MIG welder. Just tape measure to the A_arm pivot for distance an check hood closing clearance. B.
Do you have pics of your new support?
Old 04-02-2008, 10:39 AM

Soon, I will post photobucket link. I will pic the top as well. I'm about 95% there. Waitin for the weather to break. The normal winter modding proj. B.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:41 AM
Banned

a body shop can cut one out and weld a new one in.....