Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

best economy rotors for fronts??

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 10:13 AM

best economy rotors for fronts??

I've reading a lot through old posts via the search function and it seemed to be a common thing to use cheapy autozone rotors. Something about the stock rotors being a 16 lb weight, versus the autozones being 18 lbs, etc. I'm upgrading my 94's brakes to some 98-02 brakes. I'm not going to be doing any hardcore racing, but i wouldn't mind hitting open track day once or twice for fun. i have new calipers and hawk hps pads. i've got everything but rotors. here's where i raise qustion, once again. I've heard a lot of good about ws6store's 165 dollar rotor sets they sell which you can get in slotted and/or drilled. But the more i read, i find that people are happy with the cheapos from autzone... i can get rotors from napa for 48% off, so that would be a hell of a lot cheaper than buying the ws6 store's rotors, which are still priced very well. anyone care to elaborate more??
Old 11-30-2006, 09:29 PM

WS6store LS1 rotors are light 16lb castings also. I know because I asked ad they were honest and told me. Add that to the inherent weakness of x-drilling and you'll probably be replacing them after 1 open track event.

My advice, get the blanks and spend the extra cash on some pads just for the track. Those hps are not rated for the amount of heat that can be generated in racing conditions. Oh, and flush your brake fluid. This is a highly neglected part of the brake system. A fluid that can take more heat would be a good thing to look at since you mention track use. The other part of the equation is tires.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:12 AM

I'm not going to buy seperate pads for the track or anything becuase i don't really plan on going there much...maybe once or twice....wouldn't run very long if i did. I've heard the wd6 store blanks are very good for being light castings, and you don't have to get the cross drilled. you can get them slotted instead.
so what rotors would you recomend?? again, mostly street use but i don't want them to warp if i do try a track day or autocross or something.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:16 AM

I have AZ's on mine, work just fine. I have AZ pads too, good stopping, but lots of brake dust.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:36 AM

I ran AutoZone "Aimco" brand rotors for a while before I upgraded and they were pretty good. However, I don't think AZ carries that brand any longer. I can't imagine there would be much difference in a set of NAPA or AZ rotors.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:21 PM

I have the autozone rotors too. But I run a set of ceramic pads so my wheels stay cleaner. I hate brake dust
Old 12-01-2006, 05:18 PM

I'm just skeptical of using napa, autozone, advance auto parts, etc since 99% of the time they are cheap chinese rotors. I've done some brake jobs with those and they are fine since they are daily driver vehicles, but i wonder about for performance applications. i tried to turn a set of autozone rotors on the lathe once and i took off about .010" on each side and they were already to thin according to spec. If they work, i'll gladly pay 15 bucks a rotor for them, but i don't want them to be junk and warp right away. I'm going to use hawk pads. ceramic pads are nice, but say goodbye to your stock type rotors in about a year or 2.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:24 PM

Get a set of Eradispeeds -- problem solved
Old 12-01-2006, 05:26 PM

yeah, once i start to poop gold i'll but some of those
Old 12-01-2006, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by blackztpi
yeah, once i start to poop gold i'll but some of those
When you do just buy a C6 Z06...problem solved too.

As for the pads, you may change your mind after a track event. I've seen people ruin their street pads in one event, but its your call. Definately do the fluid though.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:05 AM

i'll tell you one thing....something's gotta break down. if you go with super strong pads like ceramic then you'll be shredding rotors. if you decide to go with softer pads like hawks, then go with some good rotors. if you get the best of both worlds you're just wasting money.

i run good pads and cheapo rotors. they're cheap enough to go through and i dont mind spending the 20 bucks on rotors.....on the other hand, i'd really hate to spend 200 on rotors with how often i change them any way. it seems that every time i inspect the brakes the rotors get swapped out even if i dont need them to be.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:05 AM

i'm for sure going with hawk hps pads for the street. so autozone rotors???
Old 12-04-2006, 07:09 AM

I don't think you're going to see any noticeable difference if you get rotors from AutoZone, Advance Auto Parts, NAPA, etc. Unless there's a serious manufacturer's defect they're all basic economy rotors. I'd definitely recommend the HPS pads to anyone though.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:48 AM

EBC's Rock!!! I've been having great luck with them.. I also have cross drilled and slotted, don't autocross race, just sometimes track or street.. But haven't had any problems.. It's been 15K miles.. Still looking good..
Old 12-05-2006, 12:03 PM

AZ all the way.