Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.
View Poll Results: Which is the best spring for drag racing?
stock V6 spring cut to appropriate ride height.
100.00%
stock V8 spring (not a WS6) cut to appropriat height.
0%
Hotchkis (currently on car.)
0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Best option for drag racing.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 02:42 PM

Best option for drag racing.....

Of these three which would be the best option for traction at the strip? The car currently has Kenny Brown SFC's, KYB adj. struts up front with Hotchkis springs, !front sway bar, Lakewood LCA's, J&M reloc. brackets, custom valved DeCarbons (off of Project Thunderchicken), BMR torque arm, Strange 12 bolt w/ 4.10's, and 27x11.5 Hoosier QTP's on Bogart D-10's (skinnies up front).

Is the stiffer of the 3 springs helping to "push" the rear to the pavement or is it hurting traction by not allowing optimal weight transfer? Would the V6 spring be too soft allowing unwanted suspension travel? Any detailed info on why you chose what you did would be greatly appreciated.

I also have to apologize for not being able to provide any current data as to what the car runs since the racing gods are angry at the moment. The last three times to the track netted 1) a broken torque arm and DS, 2) the track's timing tower frying itself, and most recently 3) a flat tire on the way to the track. However, during run #1, I did manage a 1.83 60' as the torque arm was sawing its way thru the DS. Not that that is great but is the only info I have for the current setup.

*Edit*: Budget restraints limit me to these three choices for now.

Last edited by 95firehawk; 06-25-2008 at 07:00 AM.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:06 PM

Thumbs up

First off get rid of the Kyb's they suck. They are a horrible shock. Ask around, no one likes them. My friend had them and Intrax springs. Worst riding, handling, etc combo i have ever been in. OMG

Next, i think the v6 springs should do the best. They are going to help out the weight transfer the best.
Is the car a dd?
What is the main purpose of the car, and how often do you drive it?
WHat are your goals for it?

In your shoes i would leave the hotchkis springs on there and buy some hal qa1's when funds allow. They will provide the adjustability to go from all out drag race to a pretty good handling shock. They also allow you to adjust the ride height.
If you want the car to be a trailer queen, go for ebiach drag springs. They will really help the weight transfer of the car. Just dont go to a road racing event.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:59 AM

I bought the KYB's long before the reputation went south. The QA1's are definately in the works for the fronts but I didn't know what the best option for the back would be. The car isn't a daily driver and I don't really care about handling other than it takes to actually get me to the track and back. As for goals I just want to make the best use of the power I have now by getting all the suspension sorted out. Then after I've squeezed everything I can out of it I will add more power. It's mainly just a weekend warrior.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:28 AM

Order a set of Summit Racing rear drag shocks (3 way adjustable) and put the v6 springs in. The shocks are dirt cheap ($26.00 each) and they work great, my car is in the mid 1.5 60' foots. I went to the track last night with some changes I made and I cut a 1.51 60'.

I've ran 4 different sets of rear shocks on my car (qa-1, strange, comp engineering and Summits).
Old 06-26-2008, 11:05 AM

agreed with above.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:22 PM

Then that's what I'll do. Thanks.