Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Best place to buy rotors

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 03:27 PM

Re: Best place to buy rotors

Originally Posted by pHEnomIC
IMO cross drilled on street cars isn't very smart. They crack easier, are a lot more expensive, and dont have as much sufrace area. Now about the racing teams having them. Of course if you are doing circuit racing or road course, they can have their uses, but these people change their entire brake systems often which keeps durability out of the picture.
There aren't many/any hard core f-body road course guys using them either. As for the few race series they are used in, they are used on much lighter cars, the rotors have a much different material makeup, and as noted, they are changed frequently.

Aside from trying to look cool, they really serve no useful purpose. As noted, holes are less surface area for a pad to grab, and less surface area/mass means a lessened ability to dissipate heat. Big no-no's.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:10 PM

Do you think they would still be in buisness? Huh Or risk the chance of being sued.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:15 PM

You dont think they need durablity for the speeds they're doing. I'm not saying I prefer cross drilled or slotted rotors. I'm just saying there is no way a street car is putting them through more abuse that would make them dangerous. Actually the ones sold at Pep Girls (Street Heat) come with a paper saying that they are not intended for race purpose.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:19 PM

I agree that I would mainly use them for looks. But think about the Z06 comes with crossdrilled. I would really consider these crossdrilled 13" since my car could spare braking power since it originally can with 10.5" rotors. So I believe it would depend on the application and purpose, just like most modifications.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:34 PM

If you're experiencing fade your pads and/or fluid are for the wrong temp range. Fade is caused by heat, not from out gassing.

True race cars run a lot of things that aren't more durable or better for the street. Tires comes to mind very quickly. Don't tell me on a track those tires don't get very hot and you'll never put them through thoses stresses on the street. Does that mean they're better for daily driving too? The answer would be NO. A suspension set up for track use would be another great example.
Some people who race also don't run things that are optimum just so they can have the "coolness" factor. Hell, I've seen cars run chrome wheels on the track, and they definately aren't optimum and are nothing but eye candy. Chrome wheels = more weight.

Go discuss this on cornercarvers.com or one of the NASA (and not the space program one) or SCCA based forums and see what kind of feed back you receive. Make sure you bring up your "out gassing" causing fade thing.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:01 PM

Out-gassing DOES cause brake fade....but with today's performance pad compounds, out gassing is almost non-existant. As you said, there are other causes for fade. The purpose of slotting is to allow brake dust to be wipped off the rotor which can cause fade too.

I'm using "fade" in general terms to mean any situation where brake efficiency decreases over time applied.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:02 AM

I have the PowerSlot Rotors, and they have worn very nicely as well as provided great stopping power. A little pricey but whatever.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:55 AM

Is it me, or did someone contradict their earlier comment...???
Old 12-11-2005, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
Is it me, or did someone contradict their earlier comment...???
Yeah, I was one of them. Lost in a dissagreement.