Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Best place for replacement wheel bearings

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 03:17 PM

Best place for replacement wheel bearings

Well I think they are shot, so I was curious if there are aftermarket sets or if the dealer is the only place to go or what?
Old 05-20-2005, 07:46 PM

Re: Best place for replacement wheel bearings

Originally Posted by lt4 fd
Well I think they are shot, so I was curious if there are aftermarket sets or if the dealer is the only place to go or what?
If you are talking about the front wheel bearings, then you will need the entire hub. The hub is a sealed unit with the ABS sensor in it. It can't be rebuilt.

Autozone handles a Timken replacement. Oriley has a National replacement. I compared the two and they were externaly identical other than the box.

On Frrax they think that the GM OEM hubs will last longer than the aftermarket brands. They push them pretty hard in road racing, and none of them last very long under those conditions.

I have the national they work so far. If I had it to do over again, I would buy OEM or timken.

gmpartsdirect.com or Jason Cromer / Dal Sebaugh can get the hubs much cheaper than a Dealership.

Z28
Old 01-01-2012, 05:27 PM

How would you remove the old wheel hubs from the steering arm? I have a 1995 F-Body camaro and have noise coming from the passenger side during driving without the brakes on. If I apply brake petal it will stop the noise. Do you think this is from the brakes or the wheel bearing hub? I took off the tire and rotor and noticed that if I spun the center wheel hub (With the five stubs) I could here a faint noise coming from the bearing. (Note this was tested after the caliper we removed and no break rotor or pads. So the noise is definitely coming from the wheel hub. But I do not know how to remove this hub. Can someone help me with what tools I need to get this removed and reinstalled with a new hub? Thanks. MikeRuth12@yahoo.com
Old 01-01-2012, 05:47 PM
Administrator

4 bolts and the hub pulls out of the steering knuckle. Rust will be your enemy.

See Shoebox's front supsension diagram:

http://shbox.com/1/front_suspension.jpg
Old 01-02-2012, 03:58 PM

Plus...

Old 02-25-2012, 12:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by whaleboy
How would you remove the old wheel hubs from the steering arm? I have a 1995 F-Body camaro and have noise coming from the passenger side during driving without the brakes on. If I apply brake petal it will stop the noise. Do you think this is from the brakes or the wheel locks lug nuts? I took off the tire and rotor and noticed that if I spun the center wheel hub (With the five stubs) I could here a faint noise coming from the bearing. (Note this was tested after the caliper we removed and no break rotor or pads. So the noise is definitely coming from the wheel hub. But I do not know how to remove this hub. Can someone help me with what tools I need to get this removed and reinstalled with a new hub? Thanks. MikeRuth12@yahoo.com
So I went in to get my tires rotated, and they said my front right wheel bearing is bad. I haven't jacked it up myself to check it out, I plan on doing that tomorrow. But my question is if it does need to be replaced, Do you need a bearing press for these cars? Thanks.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by jhnharvy773
So I went in to get my tires rotated, and they said my front right wheel bearing is bad. I haven't jacked it up myself to check it out, I plan on doing that tomorrow. But my question is if it does need to be replaced, Do you need a bearing press for these cars? Thanks.
As you can see in the pictures above, the hub/bearing is a unit. It is not serviceable. It unbolts from the steering knuckle. There is nothing to press.