Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

best rotors/pads for C5 brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 10:27 AM

best rotors/pads for C5 brakes?

ive been trying to do the C5 brake swap forever i have some parts but money's been tight the last year (well it always is tight to be honest )

for daily driven, primarily street use what are the best ones to go with? i need good longevity and of course great stopping power even when the brakes get cold or hot. my 15 mile drive to work is often a nervous apprehension waiting for deer to jump out. countless times ive had to nail the brakes, hence my main reason for the swap. you can never have too much braking power

i hear a lot of mixed things about slotted/dimpled/cross drilled/etc rotors, so like them some say stay away. i think people read too much into the whole venting hot gases better but maybe its just me. they look nice, but if i can get significant better performance from a regular OEM style rotor i will. if one of the fancy ones is about as good or better ill do that.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:10 PM

Re: best rotors/pads for C5 brakes?

My $05 worth........... buy the standard C5 rotors( non drilled or slotted) and stock C5 pads. For your application they will work fine. If on the other hand you want max performance, you could get the ZO6 pads, but they dust like crazy.

Gary

Last edited by GM98Z; 09-13-2004 at 10:10 PM.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:53 PM

I definately would not go with a stock application. My Z28 rotors warped like biatches at like 67k. And as for those brake pads, well they worked, but compared to my HAWK HPS pads, it felt like Marshmallows in my calipers. I spent a LITTLE extra, got Brembo rotors, and HAWK HPS pads. Unless GM contracts brembo for their rotors, which I dont think they do, definately go brembo. If you want brakes for the aesthetics, prostop I think makes some pretty sweet brakes, or even for a little more you could get brembo cross-drilled. I think Brembo makes a much better quality product over OEM. It'll pay off in the end. And I would never even look at another pad besides HAWK, I mean I don't think I have to explain that. Hawk is the among the very best. Hope I helped.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:11 PM

He's not talking about a stock application; he was asking about the C5 brake conversion. Different rotors, different pads, different setup. The C5 calipers are made by Baer (mine have "PBR" cast into them) and are pressure cast with reinforcing ribs that go all the way across the width of the caliper. Great setup for considerably less money than an aftermarket setup.

I'm using stock C5 rotors with ZO6 pads and couldn't be happier. I haven't noticed the ZO6 pads dusting much, but then again, it gets washed every week. I see no need for crossdrilled/slotted/dimpled rotors - mine has worked fine in all weather conditions. My rear brakes are stock calipers with dimpled GT Rotors and brake pads - expensive and I wouldn't do it again.
Old 09-09-2004, 11:50 PM

yeah i was thinking hawk pads of some sort its more the rotors im not sure of. i figured OEM C5 rotors will still be worlds better then these POS little rotors getting squeezed by that stock 1 piston caliper thats 6+ years old
Old 09-12-2004, 11:06 AM

I run the GM C5 rotors and Z06 pads. They stop great, but lots of dusting on my car. My car gets washed often too: everytime it rains. Seriously, I can drive 200~250 miles and can blacken a rim.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:25 PM

stock rotors (or equivalent OE replacement) are the best bet for C5 kits. They work great on the street and will hold up fairly well to roadcourse use as well and are very inexpensive. For pads, I'd go with stock units or if you want a little more stopping power and don't mind a little extra dust, you can go with the PFC Z rated pads. I ran both on my Z06 and the PFC Zs are completely quiet and only dust a little more than stock while offering much better stopping (good enough for roadcourse use as well).
Old 09-13-2004, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Curt (pres AAMC & ZAA)
He's not talking about a stock application; he was asking about the C5 brake conversion. Different rotors, different pads, different setup. The C5 calipers are made by Baer (mine have "PBR" cast into them) and are pressure cast with reinforcing ribs that go all the way across the width of the caliper. Great setup for considerably less money than an aftermarket setup.

I'm using stock C5 rotors with ZO6 pads and couldn't be happier. I haven't noticed the ZO6 pads dusting much, but then again, it gets washed every week. I see no need for crossdrilled/slotted/dimpled rotors - mine has worked fine in all weather conditions. My rear brakes are stock calipers with dimpled GT Rotors and brake pads - expensive and I wouldn't do it again.
Baer does not make GM calipers. PBR in Australia does... Baer just copies the C4 and C5 brake set ups and sells them for aftermarket. Beyond that Baer gets Alcon to make their calipers for the high-end race kits.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by GM98Z
My $05 worth........... buy the standard C5 rotors ( non vented) and stock C5 pads. For your application they will work fine. If on the other hand you want max performance, you could get the ZO6 pads, but they dust like crazy.

Gary
Since when are the C5 rotors non-vented? They're all directionally vented rotors (specific to left and right sides). Even the LS1 and LT1 rotors are vented.