Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Best Shocks/Springs to go with?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 01:09 PM

Best Shocks/Springs to go with?

I am putting in a RKSport 35mm front sway bar soon... but I want to make my handling even better. I am going to go with shocks/springs but not sure which are the best for handling? I do drag, but not very often... I would definitely lean more towards handling then drag if anything since this is my daily driver.

I want to lower the rear 1 1/2" only and leave the front the way it is since I have hills all over the place around here. What do you guys suggest?
Old 02-28-2006, 07:06 PM

Re: Best Shocks/Springs to go with?

You want the rear to sit lower than the front?
Old 02-28-2006, 09:27 PM

It evens it out because of the wheel gap in the gear and the low is so freakin low already... doesn't it? haha
Old 03-01-2006, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisUlrich
It evens it out because of the wheel gap in the gear and the low is so freakin low already... doesn't it? haha
um....what?

I would think you would have to lower front and back, to even things out. Car would look funny with a high front end and a low rear.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:33 AM

I might understand what chris is getting at... On some camaros the front sits a little bit lower than the rear. On others it doesn't, the only thing i can attribute this to is weight.

My car is fully loaded, convertable w all options (AC, leather, power everything etc). My friend has the same year with little or no extra options and its a hard top. There is probably 300lbs difference between our cars easy, most of which is towards the front. When i put my new hotchkis springs in i was hoping my car would "level out", crossing my fingers that my stock fronts were sagging, but the springs lowered me 1" all around, meaning my front was still noticably lower than the rear.

If anyone has any other ideas id be happy to hear it :/
Old 03-01-2006, 08:05 AM

I am pretty sure WS6SCharged lowered just the rear... which is where I got the idea from. If he could chime in anytime soon... haha

But dropping aside... can you answer my original question anyone?

"I am putting in a RKSport 35mm front sway bar soon... but I want to make my handling even better. I am going to go with shocks/springs but not sure which are the best for handling? I do drag, but not very often... I would definitely lean more towards handling then drag if anything since this is my daily driver."
Old 03-01-2006, 08:47 AM

1.5" drop just in the rear sounds like a bit much IMO.

Just try !isolator for now and see.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:28 AM

You can buy 1" lowering springs for just the rear from BMR and Hotchkis.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:40 PM

What about shocks? Coilovers?
Old 03-01-2006, 01:41 PM

Do a search for shocks... tonnes of info in this forumn on it.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:19 PM

I have been... but it's tough trying to find a direct answer for my question. It seems to be the SLP Springs made for the Koni shocks... I think? I want to lower my car 1" (I just heard you can't lower the rear only) and have a nasty set of shocks for an all around car... more handling then anything.

Koni seems to be the answer, along with SLP Springs...

What do you guys think of Eibach Springs with Koni Shocks?
Old 03-01-2006, 04:47 PM

Id call Sam up
Old 03-01-2006, 05:27 PM

IMO The Koni SA (4th gen adjustable) shocks give you the most versitility for changing the rebound rates and stiffness for different track/road setups. Then use the ground control adjustable spring height collars with either Eibach, SLP or Hochkis coil over or regular springs to give you vehicle height adjustments. This setup allows you quick adjustments to maximize your cars handling characteristics for different track / regular driving and/or apperance situations. I use this setup in my 95 Z28 for everyday driver and weekend autoX action and love the ability to soften/stiffin the spring/shock rates with very little hassel and tools (allen wrench & spaner wrench). But I too would call Sam for further explanations.
Good Luck and Have Fun.

Last edited by tazz2u; 03-01-2006 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by tazz2u
IMO The Koni SA (4th gen adjustable) shocks give you the most versitility for changing the rebound rates and stiffness for different track/road setups. Then use the ground control adjustable spring height collars with either Eibach, SLP or Hochkis coil over or regular springs to give you vehicle height adjustments. This setup allows you quick adjustments to maximize your cars handling characteristics for different track / regular driving and/or apperance situations. I use this setup in my 95 Z28 for everyday driver and weekend autoX action and love the ability to soften/stiffin the spring/shock rates with very little hassel and tools (allen wrench & spaner wrench). But I too would call Sam for further explanations.
Good Luck and Have Fun.
That's all crazy man... hahaha I just want something simple and something to get the job done. Drop my drop 1" - 1 1/2" in the rear and the least amount possible in the front. I want a much better handling set of shocks/springs. Koni's seem to be a good choice, but a full adjustable setup might be overkill because I doubt i'll be doing any adjustments...

Eibach springs seem to be what I want, but they lower the car a lot, and my car will not work will around here with all the hills... if I can just drop the rear, I could be alright.