Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

the BEST springs/shocks for SERIOUS canyon carving???

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 04:34 AM

the BEST springs/shocks for SERIOUS canyon carving???

...I've done several searches but all I am is CONFUSSED!
Whats the best spring/shock combo for road racing? I
already have an S.T 35 mm sway bar, the eibach springs that
lower it 1 3/4 inch's {which I will replace if necessary}, 11 inch rims
and am getting Victor Racer Kummo's. Whats the deal on coil overs?
Will they go over any shocks? Are they used on the front and rear?
Who makes 'em? For shocks I was thinking DA Koni's. Please give me
a break if these are dump questions! Thanks, Bill... {oh, '94 Trans Am}
Old 06-25-2004, 10:24 AM

You might head over the frrax.com and ask the same question there. That's where all of us roadracers hang out.

Anyway, I'm going to say.....it depends. Is your car a dedicated track only car? Is it 50/50 street/track? Or is it mostly street with occasional (once a month) track use? Also, what are the streets like in your area (good, bad, horrible)? All these things will fit in to picking the best combo for you.

Having said all that, Koni SAs with coilovers seem to work well for most people. You really don't need Koni DAs as the one thing these cars don't need is more compression on the shocks. I actually tried the Koni DAs up front and ended up going back to my SLP Bilsteins because they have less compression. However, I've also got GlobalWest upper A arms with very stiff bushings, and the roads around here are horrible. Honestly, unless you are turning it into a dedicated track car, my advice would be stick with the springs you have for now and add one of the following for shocks:
1) Revalved Bilsteins front and Bilstein HD 3rd gen rears from Sam Strano
2) Koni SAs front and rear
The Koni SAs are a more expensive, but you will be able to tailor the valving to meet your needs exactly.

Once you have experience with that setup, then decide if you want stiffer springs.

Also, for roadcourse use, you DEFINITELY need to upgrade your brakes. At the very least, do what I did and get some LS1 front brakes and race pads.

Finally, and most importantly, spend time in your car on track. Improving your driving skills will make more difference than any amount of parts.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:45 AM

You're seriously underdamped (stock shocks). The stock shocks suck on stock springs, let alone lower and stiffer springs. That's where you need to go next. Actually, it's where you needed to go first, but I guess it's too late for that.
Old 06-25-2004, 04:57 PM

If you want to use the stock setup and have great handling those eibachs are not going to cut it. They are a little weak. The stock spring is around 320 pounds progressive and the eibachs around around 370 progressive. I went with Suspension technique springs that are 410 pounds non progressive with a 1.2 inch drop un front. A non progressive springs will handle much better then a progressive spring but the ride will be more rough. Then i got the SLP revalved Bilstien shcoks to handle the springs. Sam Strano can revalve the Bilstien shocks better then SLP. Oh and dont get any other shock then the Bilstiens. The others dont compare.

If you want a better handling setup go with a coil over setup. The stock setup is very limited on springs. You can get any spring custom made for coil overs even over 800 pounds springs.
Old 06-27-2004, 04:20 AM

....thanks a bunch everyone.... my car is 50/50 track/street
use....roads are not very good.... Sam, what would it cost me to get
some re-valved Bilstiens from you? Why do you like them '
better than the Koni's? {actually, I don't have stock shocks
now. I have KYG gas shocks. Everyone says that they are
terrible but it seems to corner really well. Although, it rides
REALLY bad.}.... Bill....
Old 06-28-2004, 10:52 AM

I don't necessarily like them better then Koni's. I run Koni's on the front of my car because I want/need the adjustment. Seems like most folks like the idea of the Revalved Bilstein over a Koni if they don't want to be bothered with an adjustment, or because they are cheaper (Revalved front + rears arek $500, vs. $752 for 4 Koni's, or $610 for a Koni front, Bilstein rear combination).