Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Best Suspension setup for $800??

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 12:24 PM

Question Best Suspension setup for $800??

I am wondering what the best setup is for a 97 Trans am. I have been researching this for a very long time and still am not 100% shure on what I want. Right now I have KBDD SFC, STB, 17x9.5 wheels, 275/45/17 bfg g-force t/a kdws. I want to lower my car about an inch+. I have $800 to work with for the rest. I am thinking of getting DMS spring, bilstien HDs, LCA, adj. PHB. Let me know if there is better for me.
Thanks
Old 02-17-2005, 01:26 PM

Re: Best Suspension setup for $800??

If you're lowering, you should get relocation brackets for you LCAs as well. Didn't do the math, but if you have any buckeroos left, get a bigger front swaybar too.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:28 PM

I'd recommend something different. First, better shocks. You clearly want springs since you want to lower it, and there some good choices (and some not so good). Then swaybars.. actually I rate (proper) bars as more help than springs, but it's clear that lowering is a concern and it makes more financial sense to install springs and shocks together.

I am in the minority about LCA's and brackets. I have neither on my car, which is lowered and modified, and it's pretty fast.

If you take some time,read other threads, you'll see shocks are a big help even with all the other parts being stock. And the better the shock, they less parts you often find are needed to get folks "where they want to be". That's simply because the shocks are so important that they take a big step to doing the job without a ton more help.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:58 PM

If you're looking for cheap shocks/struts with good quality and performance, look at KYB self-a-justs. Summit sells them ridiculously cheap. $28 for a rear, $79 for a front. Leaves alot of budget. I am very pleased with their long-term performance.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:53 PM

KYB Gas-A-Justs are not what I'd call a performance shock, I've actually stopped using them here in our shop since the damping performance has been so poor on some vehicles, even compared to a really cheap GR-2 or even a Monroe.

Yes, they leave budget, but with shocks, you very much get what you pay for. I have no doubt you find them better than stock, but it's one of those never know until you try situations. And the difference between even a KYB AGX and the Gas-A-Justs is big, let alone what it is to a Koni or Specially valved Bilstein.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:13 PM

Sam, what are your thoughts on Edelbrock Performer IAS shocks? Looking to replace my stock 110k mile shocks, and want something better than stock, and something that will give me an all around better shock, Definetely not looking towards the drag car route, cuz my car doesnt see the strip often and prolly wont see it alot in the future. Just want a better controlled car that still rides well. Thanks!
Old 02-17-2005, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by eagleknight97
Sam, what are your thoughts on Edelbrock Performer IAS shocks? Looking to replace my stock 110k mile shocks, and want something better than stock, and something that will give me an all around better shock, Definetely not looking towards the drag car route, cuz my car doesnt see the strip often and prolly wont see it alot in the future. Just want a better controlled car that still rides well. Thanks!
I watched a video on those and according to Edelbrock they use a valve that can control both body roll and still keep the tire on the road over bumpy roads- the setup is completely new. Supposedly it's similar in operation to the magnetic fluid shocks on the Vette/Cadillac platform, although not quite as accurate or adaptable I imagine. They did a few demo runs in several vehicles on the stock shocks and then the Edelbrocks and the difference was night and day. If I had the money I would go for them, although they're not exactly a track only shock, they're marketed more for people that want a good ride but the ability to take corners like maniacs every once in a while too.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:10 PM

Couldnt have said it better myself! Corner like a maniac and still have a good ride My goals exactly!
Old 02-17-2005, 10:57 PM

Couldnt have said it better myself! Corner like a maniac and still have a good ride My goals exactly!
If you're on stock springs, I would look to Bilstein HDs.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:15 PM

Well, I was looking into the Edelbrocks some more and they offer the IAS shocks with Eibach springs. But, they advertise a 1.8" ride height drop, which i dont really want. An inch would be perfect for me. I want a SLIGHTLY lower height, but not too low cuz I already consider my car pretty low. But I figure that if im going to change shocks, might as well change springs too, im sure they are just as used up at 110k as my shocks are.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:27 AM

Springs hold up better than shocks.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:15 PM

The Edelbrock has good marketing, but there is nothing earth-shaking about the shocks *AT ALL*.

They are 46mm monotubes, like a Bilstein. The "IAS system" has been around a long time (and is licensed from Ricor). It's simply a spring loaded valve that opens at a certain shocks piston speed so the shock softens up. Otherwise known as a bypass. Every shock I can think of has a bypass of one type or another. Bilstein does to, but the differences are more than few IMHO. 1. Bilstein has a lot more experience with dampers, which is a tough field to do right. 2. The Bilstein setup uses deflected discs or washers to do what Edelbrock is using an overly complex sliding valve (MHO) to do. 3. Bilstein has discs on both side of the piston, which effects bypass on both compression and rebound, where the Edelbrock only works one way (on rebound, which they don't even tell you, I just know from studying the shocks). 4. They are not really cheaper than a Bilstein either.

Now, I'm not saying that Bilstein is the WAY you have to go. And they are not perfect for all people, which is why we do so many Koni's and Revalving of Bilstein shocks. That's because while HD's are a damn decent shock for a lot of folks, some people demand more than what is mass-marketed to make everyone happy. Well, there is no free lunch, and there are compromises. If you happen to be someone who is in the target area that Bilstein was shooting for, then you need to go no further. I'm not one, as I like a much more posititve feel to the chassis. You can do this without a harsh ride, but it is firmer and more controlled. Not everyone wants that, so Bilstein valved the shocks for the masses. Better control, but the emphasis on less impact harshness and ride than performance.
Old 02-19-2005, 02:38 AM

Thanks Sam, Ill look into the Blisteins a little more. Also, what kind of spring would you recomend I look at? I would like a SLIGHTLY lower ride height than what I have now, but nothing drastic at all! Im looking at just upgrading my suspension setup this summer. Nothing drastic, but an uprgade nonetheless
Old 02-21-2005, 12:53 PM

Thanks Sam, Ill look into the Blisteins a little more. Also, what kind of spring would you recomend I look at? I would like a SLIGHTLY lower ride height than what I have now, but nothing drastic at all! Im looking at just upgrading my suspension setup this summer. Nothing drastic, but an uprgade nonetheless

Looking at something online is only going to get a lot of opinions. Some good, some not so good. Trouble is, how do you know what to believe? I'm not a fan of internet only research. I feel you should suppliment it by calling vendors who know about the parts as well. Preferably ones who sell a variety of them so you know you aren't getting a pitch solely based on what's on-hand or most profitable to sell.

I really can't make a recommendation here. I don't know enough about your situation to help here. Also, the spring work hand in hand with the shocks, so they should be considered together. Actually, you could lower the car some without springs and get killer shocks at the same time by opting for certain Koni's. You spend more on the shocks, but can save by not needing springs (your choice), and have the best shock you can put on the car too.