Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Best Sway Bars F&r

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 04:24 AM

Exclamation Best Sway Bars F&r

What sway bars are the best . I want to upgrade my sway bars . Ive been looking at alot of differnt brands . I think I have it down to 2 . Let me know what you guys think . Im going to include a link to a page that compairs the two of them side by side . I have few spohn parts on my car now , Adj P H bar , LCA , SFC . The other company is Eibach . I figured they make the springs on my car ( 2002 SS ) so it should work well with it The Eibach sway bars are 35mm 25m . Spohn's are 32mm 22mm , but the Spohn's are made out of chrome moly ... Thanks for the feedback. Well here is the link let me know what you think

http://byunspeed.com/compare.php?col...0572eec4544f8d
Old 04-11-2006, 06:53 AM

Re: Best Sway Bars F&r

i say go with the spohn

they are solid bars which is stiffer, and the chromoly will save some weight.

the eibachs are hollow which is ligher, but they have to be thicker to be of similar stiffness.

i know i'm extremely happy with my BMR 32/21mm solid bars....world of difference in the handling of the car
Old 04-11-2006, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by siggs229
What sway bars are the best . I want to upgrade my sway bars . Ive been looking at alot of differnt brands . I think I have it down to 2 . Let me know what you guys think . Im going to include a link to a page that compairs the two of them side by side . I have few spohn parts on my car now , Adj P H bar , LCA , SFC . The other company is Eibach . I figured they make the springs on my car ( 2002 SS ) so it should work well with it The Eibach sway bars are 35mm 25m . Spohn's are 32mm 22mm , but the Spohn's are made out of chrome moly ... Thanks for the feedback. Well here is the link let me know what you think

http://byunspeed.com/compare.php?col...0572eec4544f8d
:hmm:

Don't get the Eibach's, due to their rear 25mm swaybar, WAAAY too much rear sway for a handling vehicle, not forgiving, you'll be fishtailing a LOT out of turns...Which by the way is a LOT of fun, but think of that EVERY time you are exiting out of a turn???

NOT GOOD.

Spohn's are 32/22???

I'd rather go with Sam Strano's, he has a hollow 35mm for the front and a hollow 22mm for the rear.

The bigger the front swaybar, the less body roll which is a GOOD thing when encountering corners.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:34 PM

Another vote for the Strano 35mm/22mm hollow setup.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:23 AM

[QUOTE=Carlos01SS]:hmm:

Don't get the Eibach's, due to their rear 25mm swaybar, WAAAY too much rear sway for a handling vehicle, not forgiving, you'll be fishtailing a LOT out of turns...Which by the way is a LOT of fun, but think of that EVERY time you are exiting out of a turn???

Ok you have a good point . Do you really think it would be that bad ? Im just curious if more people feel the same way ?? Again thanks for the feedback it helps .

Rob
Old 04-13-2006, 09:03 AM

A 25 rear bar is too big. You need a less stiff rear bar to get the power down. Strano's 35/22 bars, though not the best in terms of fit or finish, are about the best for performance. If you want to save a few bucks you could substitute a 21 solid bar for his hollow 22.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:26 PM

[QUOTE=siggs229]
Originally Posted by Carlos01SS
:hmm:

Ok you have a good point . Do you really think it would be that bad ? Im just curious if more people feel the same way ?? Again thanks for the feedback it helps .

Rob
With my first 4th-gen, a 93Z28, I had the RKSports 35mm(solid) front & 25mm(solid) rear and I kid you NOT, taking the twisties with the suspension that I had was downright scary!

Going into the turns the car pushed, that is to say that it was rather difficult going into a turn, and when exiting a corner while accellerating was a MAJOR accident waiting to happen, cuz the rear wanted to go towards the front!!!

I had to gingerly feather the gas till I was juuuust about out of the corner entirely before I could hit the gas hard.

Now, even though it's not the ideal setup right now, my hollow 35mm front sway and factory SS rear sway(21mm factory??? It might be a 19mm ) allows me to REALLY dive into a turn and hit the gas even in the middle of the apex which enables me to DRIVE right out of the corners at full throttle, and THAT'S a kick in the *** to feel!!!
Old 04-14-2006, 03:18 AM

With my first 4th-gen, a 93Z28, I had the RKSports 35mm(solid) front & 25mm(solid) rear and I kid you NOT, taking the twisties with the suspension that I had was downright scary!

Hmmmmmmm , a few questions for you ? Is 1993 when you had this on your car ? The suspension has changed quite alot from then . Also what size meats did you have with those sway bars ?? What kind of sway bars do you have on your 2001 ?

Anybody else feel free to add some feedback
Old 04-14-2006, 06:33 AM

um...the only thing that would be different from 93 to later years suspension wise was the stiffness of the springs.

since the swaybars were upgraded anyway...the rest would be identical.

but i do agree with you on the tires...those can make or break a suspension setup. the best built suspension won't do **** if the tires won't hold the road.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:58 AM

My opinion, 35mm hollow or solid front, and 22 hollow or 21 solid rear.

Personally, I have the 35mm solid front sway bar, and 21 mm 1LE rear bar and it's juuuust right with my stock springs and Bilstein HD shocks.

Dan
Old 04-14-2006, 12:57 PM

Hmmmmmmm , a few questions for you ? Is 1993 when you had this on your car ? The suspension has changed quite alot from then . Also what size meats did you have with those sway bars ?? What kind of sway bars do you have on your 2001 ?

Anybody else feel free to add some feedback

93 was the first year of the 4th-gen, other than slightly larger swaybars and somewhat different spring settings for the 98-02 cars, the suspension is basically the same.
I had the factory 245-50-16 meats, the 50 series were more forgiving in turns than what I have now, which is 275-40-17 fronts & 295-35-18 rears, and my car now still handles tons better than the 93 did.

Now I have the Strano hollow 35mm front swaybar and I think the factory rear sway is 19mm...

I could see changing the rear to the 1LE 21mm rear or Strano's hollow 22mm rear, but as of right now after changing my front brakes to a 6-piston caliper setup I will be changing the Koni DA rears to the Koni SA's, see how it feels then, and if I feel it's necessary I'll change the rear swaybar then.
Old 04-15-2006, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by teke184
um...the only thing that would be different from 93 to later years suspension wise was the stiffness of the springs.

since the swaybars were upgraded anyway...the rest would be identical.

but i do agree with you on the tires...those can make or break a suspension setup. the best built suspension won't do **** if the tires won't hold the road.
So what if you have goodyear eagle F1s 275-40-17 all around . Can these tires handle the bigger sway bars ??

What I meant by differnt , the 2002 ss package has Bilstien shocks and Ebiach springs . Its sits about an 1 1/4 in lower then the z28 .Also , I am in the process of installing many suspension parts to help out . LCA , panhard bar , subframe connectors all Spohn .

Now with all this would the sway bars be to much ??

Rob
Old 04-15-2006, 05:35 AM

So what if you have goodyear eagle F1s 275-40-17 all around . Can these tires handle the bigger sway bars ??

What I meant by differnt , the 2002 ss package has Bilstien shocks and Ebiach springs . Its sits about an 1 1/4 in lower then the z28 .Also , I am in the process of installing many suspension parts to help out . LCA , panhard bar , subframe connectors all Spohn .

Now with all this would the sway bars be to much ??

Rob

First off, your car doesnt sit 1 1/4 inches lower than a factory Z28. 1/2-3/4 inch maybe with the SLP Bilstein/Eibach combo. Your car can handle a 35mm front swaybar no problem. You could put one on a bone stock Z28 and notice a difference. I would go with Strano's front bar and call it good.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:44 AM

How does Strano's 35/22 bars work at the drag strip? I'm trying to get the best of both worlds meaning I want to be able to take a turn on the street and still run 11's on the weekend.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:33 AM

[QUOTE=5.0THIS]First off, your car doesnt sit 1 1/4 inches lower than a factory Z28. 1/2-3/4 inch maybe with the SLP Bilstein/Eibach combo.

And your 100% positive of this how ????

Rob

Last edited by siggs229; 04-17-2006 at 02:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Best Sway Bars F&r