Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Best Sway Bars F&r

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 08:19 AM

Re: Best Sway Bars F&r

For what it's worth, I have the hollow strano bars with adj Koni's set to full soft and 275/40-17s. The car may handle better, but rides like a dump truck. In many ways street cornering is reduced because if I ran over a dead worm in a fast sweeper, it'd upset the car so bad I'd bounce into the ditch.

Now I'm looking for something softer than my stock Z springs, and weighing them against removing the bars or struts. Fawking thing is about unbearable on city streets.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by Deckstripes
For what it's worth, I have the hollow strano bars with adj Koni's set to full soft and 275/40-17s. The car may handle better, but rides like a dump truck. In many ways street cornering is reduced because if I ran over a dead worm in a fast sweeper, it'd upset the car so bad I'd bounce into the ditch.

Now I'm looking for something softer than my stock Z springs, and weighing them against removing the bars or struts. Fawking thing is about unbearable on city streets.

There is nothing softer than the factory springs. I would suggest selling the car, because if you feel that it rides that bad, then it will not get any better I promise you that.

If you want something with a soft ride I would suggest nothing that's considered a sports car, so stay away from Camaro's, Mustangs, Corvettes, Acura RSX's, NSX's, etc.

Good luck.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:52 AM

What year is your car ?? Maybe your springs are shot . Bald tires ??

You could always get an old ,big caddy , they ride like a couch
Old 04-17-2006, 05:58 AM

[QUOTE=siggs229]
Originally Posted by 5.0THIS
First off, your car doesnt sit 1 1/4 inches lower than a factory Z28. 1/2-3/4 inch maybe with the SLP Bilstein/Eibach combo.

And your 100% positive of this how ????

Rob

You're right.... Every single SS ever made, except yours, sits less than an inch lower than a stock Z28. You got special one-off springs
Old 04-17-2006, 12:26 PM

I'll lay money you are running over 32 psi in your tires, have 19" wheels, of some other thing going on. Because if you look around, nobody has the same compliant. And I'll tell you now that 35 in stock sized tires will make *ANY* f-car ride badly, and if you have bigger tires than stock it'll only be worse. Tires (air pressure, sidewall stiffness, construction) are integral parts of the suspension.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:51 AM

[QUOTE=5.0THIS]
Originally Posted by siggs229

You're right.... Every single SS ever made, except yours, sits less than an inch lower than a stock Z28. You got special one-off springs

Thanks for the info I knew my car was rare

Rob
Old 04-20-2006, 05:25 AM

The stock springs are pretty soft to start with. You sure you have those shocks adjusted properly? I'm thinking that or air pressure. Maybe you really don't have stock springs?
Old 04-20-2006, 11:35 AM
nfa

I have the same set up as dan.. ST35MM solid front bar and 21mm 1LE bar. The balance is just right for me. That said, if money were no object, I would got the Strano 35mm hollow bar for the weight savings. The ST bar is stiff, but is a pig in terms of weight. It makes for a pretty good curl bar to work on your biceps hahaha.

Originally Posted by stereomandan
My opinion, 35mm hollow or solid front, and 22 hollow or 21 solid rear.

Personally, I have the 35mm solid front sway bar, and 21 mm 1LE rear bar and it's juuuust right with my stock springs and Bilstein HD shocks.

Dan
Old 04-21-2006, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by Bud M
A 25 rear bar is too big. You need a less stiff rear bar to get the power down. Strano's 35/22 bars, though not the best in terms of fit or finish, are about the best for performance. If you want to save a few bucks you could substitute a 21 solid bar for his hollow 22.

Ok how about this one !!! Does anybody think if I used a 25 mm sway bar in back with the rubber bushing instead of the poly , this might offset the the bigger sway bars rigidity ????? ( less stiff ) Let me know if you think that is a possibility . If not, does anyoone want to buy a brand new 25 mm sway bar ?

Rob
Old 04-21-2006, 06:01 AM

I think the oem rubber bushings would only make the bar come on a little softer like, it won't change the overall stiffness, though.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:18 PM

25mm in the rear is way to big.

Dan
Old 04-30-2006, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by nfa
I have the same set up as dan.. ST35MM solid front bar and 21mm 1LE bar. The balance is just right for me. That said, if money were no object, I would got the Strano 35mm hollow bar for the weight savings. The ST bar is stiff, but is a pig in terms of weight. It makes for a pretty good curl bar to work on your biceps hahaha.
Yeah, it really is a great setup isn't it. Rides and corners incredible, but I wouldn't want the ride any stiffer. The Bilstein HD's control the car very well, but do add to a little stiffer ride. It's just right for me.

Dan