Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Biggest brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 01:25 PM

Biggest brakes?

I curently have the Baer, 2 piston front calipers, with the 13 inch cross drilled and slotted rotors on my 95 Z. I am looking to step up after a wheel change to some 18's to maybe a 4 or 6 piston caliper. What is the largest brakes anyone has heard of on a street F-body? Does anyone currently have a 6 piston set up on thier car?
Old 01-13-2006, 01:35 PM
nfa

Re: Biggest brakes?

not sure why you posted this in the engine section...

im not sure if these are the biggest brakes that will fit on an fbody, but the ultimate set up that you are going to get is probably the porsche 911 based kit from prostop performance. http://www.ProstopPerformance.com

The guy who sold me his z06 brake set up, which is essentially the same as your baer kit, stepped up to the prostop kit. What problem are you trying to address through bigger brakes?

Originally Posted by CALL911
I curently have the Baer, 2 piston front calipers, with the 13 inch cross drilled and slotted rotors on my 95 Z. I am looking to step up after a wheel change to some 18's to maybe a 4 or 6 piston caliper. What is the largest brakes anyone has heard of on a street F-body? Does anyone currently have a 6 piston set up on thier car?
Old 01-13-2006, 01:59 PM

Not so much a problem, other than my greed for more stopping power. Just more curious about the larger brake systems out there, and what people thought about them. Sorry if I posted the thread in the wrong section.
Old 01-13-2006, 02:47 PM
nfa

You probably wont get much more ultimate stopping power from moving to a larger set up from what you have now. And even if you did, you would need to be running something like Hoosier racing slicks to be able to harness it that increased braking power. The principal benefit would come from repeatability of those stops back to back. (i.e. on a track)
Old 01-13-2006, 04:27 PM

If you simply just want more braking power, I would just go with the LS1 setup using some GOOD pads such as Hawk HPS or even HP+, although the HP+'s dont last as long and dust a LOT. Thats the tradeoff with GOOD brakes is more dust and noise goes along with the better stopping. Or you could go with a C5 or Baer setup if you plan on ever doing autox or road racing, but like nfa said, you will overpower street tires if you go too strong on the brakes. I am running a full C5 conversion with Hawk HPS pads, and used to run the HP+ pads. The HPS even overpower my street tires, but the HP+'s would definitely overpower them.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:24 PM

I've seem 6 piston calipers and 14" rotors (i think.. but they could have been 13s it was along time ago) on 2002 SS once at my shop. I dont remember the brand name
Old 01-13-2006, 06:36 PM

What rear brakes do you have? Going stubid big on the front won't do much good unless you have the rears up to snuff as well. If you have a 13" setup on the front and the rears are stock, your next step is new rear brakes.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:44 PM

Actually if the rear brakes are too strong, it will cause brake induced wheel hop. The best thing to do for the rears is maybe replace the calipers with some new ones and good pads. A lot of guys with 98+ cars autox and road racing use less aggressive pads on the rear than the front to reduce the power of the rear brakes to reduce the rear hop. I would say upgrade the front to either 98+ setup or better, and just go with some good pads on the rear, that is all that is really needed.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:47 PM
nfa

~80% of the braking is performed by the fronts. Bigger rears are not necessary, for the brakehop reason that kgkern identified. At most, you would go with different pads.

Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL
What rear brakes do you have? Going stubid big on the front won't do much good unless you have the rears up to snuff as well. If you have a 13" setup on the front and the rears are stock, your next step is new rear brakes.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:39 AM

I realize most of the breaking is done by the front. But the LT! rear brakes suck. The skinny rotors overheat and warp easily and they are only 11 inches. If he goes to 14" or what ever front brakes with 4 or 6 piston calipers your gonna have to upgrade the rear to like 12" with a smaller 2 piston setup just to keep it balanced. I've basically got the same as his setup and the rear brakes are getting upgraded on monday because they can't keep up with the front. My rear brake temps are actually higher then the front.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:31 AM
Administrator

PLEASE post in the correct forum. Moving to "Suspension, Chassis and Brakes"
Old 01-15-2006, 10:21 AM

The rear calipers on my car are stock, however the rotors are X-drilled and slotted + Zinc washed. I am not certain that moving to a 6 caliper piston will be too much for the tires. One of my friends owns a 93 Supra TT, which comes factory with some gargantuan brakes, he can out stop my car that again has the Baers and upgraded rotors hands down, and we have the same front tires, but his don't slide or make any sound when braking excessivly at any speed.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:28 AM
nfa

<shrugs> I guess I have had different experiences than you. I have open lapped my car for 3 years (30 min sessions) on tracks that are known for being hard on brakes and have only had issues with front brake fade, which prompted the move to the z06 brakes. Ive never had an issue with the rears. Maybe your proportioning bias is skewed too much to the rears...

Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL
I realize most of the breaking is done by the front. But the LT! rear brakes suck. The skinny rotors overheat and warp easily and they are only 11 inches. If he goes to 14" or what ever front brakes with 4 or 6 piston calipers your gonna have to upgrade the rear to like 12" with a smaller 2 piston setup just to keep it balanced. I've basically got the same as his setup and the rear brakes are getting upgraded on monday because they can't keep up with the front. My rear brake temps are actually higher then the front.