Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

bilstein bts

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 07:40 PM

bilstein bts

any feedback on this setup?anyone using it?any thoughts?
Old 03-28-2006, 09:03 PM

Re: bilstein bts

I have heard it is alittle stiff for some peoples comfort, but a nice set up. Also consider the bilsteins with H&R springs, which are supposed to be real nice and about the same price.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:51 AM

Re: bilstein bts

MHO, as a Bilstein dealer (and others). Don't do it. The BTS kit doens't have the shock valving to deal with the springs in use--despite the sales hype. Also, the springs are quite stiff. They are heavier than I use on my autocross car that is hugely serious and runs on 315 R-comp tires, etc which demand MORE spring than any kind of street car no matter how hard you drive it. Also, you don't need the car to be brick stiff to handle.

Bilstein's and H&R's are also a poor combination. Not that either of them is a bad product by themselves. Bilstein's are NOT meant for lowering springs. Period. The valving is not there to be able to damp 25-50%+ more spring rate than stock, *AND* do it in a lesser range of travel. And H&R's are also pretty firm rear springs, again firmer than I use in my car.

If you want to lower the car, you need to do two things above all. Pick appropriate springs (not based on price, or ride height only). Based on rates, working rates, and the compatibility with your uses/wants/needs. THEN you have to pick a shock (really a spring damper) that matches up with the springs so the shocks control the springs properly. That is, after all, what shocks do.

There are VERY, VERY few times I'll ok the use of HD's on a lowered car. Maybe 5% of the time when dealing with lowering. Those times are only when a very lightweight spring is in use, and even then, it's borderline. Fine for cruising, not so great for best stability and handling. I'm being a bit vague intentionally because I have to be. I cannot begin to explain, online, why sometimes it's ok to do X shock with Y spring, but X shock won't work with Z spring. It's pretty involving and would take me hours to type. Which is why we have a tech-line.