Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Bilstein HD Shock question

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 01:00 PM

Bilstein HD Shock question

I was looking into getting a set of the Bilstein HD Shocks for my 97 WS6 and wanted to know if there would be any improvement or lowering of the ride vs. stock.

Thanks for the help!

~Justin
Old 11-30-2005, 02:41 PM

Re: Bilstein HD Shock question

Anything is better then the stock decarbon shocks. I need to pick up a set of HD's soon.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:38 PM

Your not going to lower the car at all with just bilstein HD shock/struts. You will get a stiffer ride. I suggest if your going in and doing that to think about doing a spring change as well. Eibach prokit or sportline.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by 94Z28/SSw
Your not going to lower the car at all with just bilstein HD shock/struts. You will get a stiffer ride. I suggest if your going in and doing that to think about doing a spring change as well. Eibach prokit or sportline.
Actually, your car's ride is going to be better with the Bilstein HDs compared to stock. Plus you will have proper damping, provided that you do NOT lower the car. The Bilstein catalog clearly states that HDs for 4th gens were designed to work with the stock springs and not with aftermarket lowering springs. Does that mean they won't work with lowering springs? Not necessarily, but you will be giving up some damping capabilities.

But if you still want to use lowering springs with the Bilsteins, do not get the Eibach sportlines. Those springs do not seem to have enough rate for how much they lower the car. More of show-only springs.. The Prokit should work OK though.

Good luck.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:09 PM

Thanks everyone!!!
Old 12-14-2005, 03:52 PM

No lowering, much improved control. Ride will be firm, but the sharpest impacts will be damped out much better than wtih the DeCarbon's. In short, if you are staying with stock springs and aren't looking for the absolute BEST body motion control, but pretty damn good control, HD's are a good choice.

If you lower, HD's are not recommended by Bilstein, or by me. Period.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:31 PM

<Sam Strano> I wish I had the money for your shocks, I have heard nothing but the best from you. When I do find that money tree I will be giving you a call!!

As for now i think the HD's will be just fine for what I want. Thanks again!

~Justin
Old 12-15-2005, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by jtcz28
<Sam Strano> I wish I had the money for your shocks, I have heard nothing but the best from you. When I do find that money tree I will be giving you a call!!

~Justin
You can still support Sam and buy your HD's through him. He's competitively priced and you know you'll get the best technical support when you buy through him.

No affiliation with Strano by the way, just an appreciative auto-x customer.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:15 AM

Hummm i just might have to look into that. Thanks!
Old 12-16-2005, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by jtcz28

~Justin
Ok..... Just trying to let you that if you lower the car, HD's aren't the best choice. But I don't see you were going to do that, just that someone mentioned it.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:53 PM

what about the slp bilistein shocks they even have the shock and spring package...
Old 12-24-2005, 01:34 AM

Herr Strano , revalved a set of Bilsteins for me to matched the spring rate I was running back in 2000 in Germany. That car won a lot of slaloms and one lap road events over here. Before the revlave I was struggling with the HD Bilsteins in slaloms and road course events.
Later on I ended up pulling them off and went full race Bilsteins to stay competitive. Sold the the Bilstein revalve shock and spring combo to another Fbody enthusiast here in Germany and his first time out in the King of the Hill event for 2005 over here , he set fast time for the Stock class. Talk about durable shock.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:46 PM

I would really recommend that most of the guys on here go to sam for a revalved bilstein shock. Most of you are looking for improved handling without going to extremes. He'll give you a spring and shock combo that will work extremely well and be competitively priced. You'll pop it in and forget it's there other than a dramatically improved ride. It looks like alot of money up front, but by the time you go through a couple setups your unhappy with it will be cheaper. Do it once and do it right. You will read over and over that if Sam doesn't think it'll benefit you he'll try to talk you out of it. He probably loses more money trying to help than he would if he just sold whatever people wanted, accordingly he has the reputation of knowing what works as opposed to being "just another vendor".

With that said I do not run his shocks, I run a custom race bilstein coilover setup that cost at least twice that amount, and alot of time on my part. But I have been in many cars that he's sprung and they are very nice and are truly a street car with great handling as opposed to a race car in street clothes. I can 99% guarantee you will be happy by going with sam strano. Give him a call, he'll be more than happy to talk and when you're done you will see what everyone talks about.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:38 PM

All I was saying was, SLP put on the eibach prokit with bilstein hd's, so it must not be too bad of a setup
Old 12-27-2005, 12:57 PM

Smile Re: Bilstein HD Shock question

I have the Pro-kit and Bilstein HD's and a 32 mm sway bar with poly bushings everywhere.

The ride is a lot firmer wtih no body roll. The shocks are a bit harsher than stock and I can see why revalving the shocks is recommended, but to be honest I still think it a great improvement over stock.

Jay

Quick Reply: Bilstein HD Shock question