Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

bilstein hd's & STOCK springs ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 05:06 PM

bilstein hd's & STOCK springs ?

I am planning to run a set of four Bilstein HD's on my daily driver 95 TransAm. stock springs will stay, the decarbons must go. ~$320 for the shocks is right in my budget, though I know many will suggest more $ for the Konis.

I like the front height as is, the rear will be fine with the 'hose mod.' picture

Does anyone have experience with this set-up? Please advise, thanks.

Brian
Old 02-26-2005, 09:43 PM

Re: bilstein hd's & STOCK springs ?

That's my set up exactly, except I didn't bother with the garden hose mod. My car sits fairly low on the stock springs, to the point that I have to be pretty careful with speed bumps and steep driveways, so I didn't want to lower it. I just kept the rubber spring insulators.

The car handles and rides much better. You will definitely feel the improvement. After good tires, decent shocks have got to be the biggest bang for the buck improvement you can make to the suspension.
Old 02-26-2005, 10:08 PM

The Bilsteins are very good for the stock springs. In fact, I think I've read that they are a little weak for aftermarket springs, but you can get them revalved if you ever go with stiffer springs.

I have the Bilsteins with stock springs and love it. I think the ride would start to get a little too harsh if I put stiffer springs on too.

The next best mod after shocks is a BIG front sway bar. I have a 35mm front bar, as does the previous poster. Great mod.

Dan
Old 02-26-2005, 10:14 PM

Bilstein HDs were designed for stock springs and will be a very nice match. Unless you're racing or handling is your top priority, there isn't a whole lot of reason to upgrade beyond Bilsteins (as far as shocks go).
Old 02-26-2005, 11:20 PM

Have the same setup...no idea what the "hose mod" is though? Great setup...I've ridden in some of my buddy's ride with lower springs, and it's a little too rough for my taste. I also have a daily driver, so I need the balance of performance and comfort. Also, I have 18" wheels, so I'm feel every bit of the road already.

I know folks that went lowered and then went back to stock, just for the comfort.

I know you already said not to say this...but Koni's or HAQ adjustables would give you the best of both worlds. But unless you actually go autocrossing or beat up your car on every turn, you'll be happy with this setup.
Old 02-27-2005, 02:42 AM

Thanks for the input. I will be ordering a set of HD's soon. btw, the 'hose mod' is where you remove the rear spring isolators and wrap the top of the rear springs with rubber hose... doing so lowers the rear ~.5 inches.

Also considering the 35mm strano hollow.

Thanks again - Brian
Old 03-01-2005, 12:54 AM

Good informative thread, I guess since I am just finishing up the Wheel/Tire part the next is shocks and sway bar. Good posts.

-Dustin-
Old 03-01-2005, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by ZaneO
Bilstein HDs were designed for stock springs and will be a very nice match. Unless you're racing or handling is your top priority, there isn't a whole lot of reason to upgrade beyond Bilsteins (as far as shocks go).
What he said...