Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

BMR, AJE, or PA k-member for LT1?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 06:37 AM

Re: BMR, AJE, or PA k-member for LT1?

Originally Posted by kandied91z
i love my pa unit.... never seen one break. aje is very nice too but a bit more money.

gotta love rumors, wish someone would prove the pa or any other versions have broken.
One thing I've learned from this board...There's almost as much opinion as there is fact on here. I've seen people bad mouth products just because the company didn't answer their e-mail quick enough...Not because of any flaw in the product itself.

Frank
Old 10-25-2004, 10:13 AM

wish someone would prove the pa or any other versions have broken.
I pit crew for a race team and have seen some weird stuff break over the years. There's a lot to be said for beefier tubing and better welds, but even the best parts break under the right circumstances. I'd never judge a decision based off a single break. If it's a known problem, then that's a different story.
Old 10-25-2004, 09:03 PM

gotta love rumors, wish someone would prove the pa or any other versions have broken.
You've got it backward. The only "internet rumor" is that K-Members such as the BMR are anywhere near as durable as stock. This is especially important for those of us who actually use the steering wheel. The first time I saw the design I literally laughed out loud. Then I felt sad for those I knew would be busting them to pieces at the track.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:19 PM

A lot of people think the one bar from one side to the other is the weak point. However, it's not.

I agree that it's a bad design. I've never cared for BMR or PA's version because of the upper a-arm mounts. The design of those mounts has little strength for cornering. The AJS road-race reinforced version is MUCH better.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Jon A
You've got it backward. The only "internet rumor" is that K-Members such as the BMR are anywhere near as durable as stock. This is especially important for those of us who actually use the steering wheel. The first time I saw the design I literally laughed out loud. Then I felt sad for those I knew would be busting them to pieces at the track.

no, i don't have it backwards. your confirming the same kind of rumors....

until you or anyone else can prove one has broken from the use it was built for i won't believe a word of it. i would love to see someone break a bmr, aje or pa/pro-fab unit doing street/strip/light auto-x duty. haven't seen it though and i've searched hard for it.

show me one please...
Old 10-26-2004, 08:11 PM

your confirming the same kind of rumors....
The judgments I make about suspension parts (and in this case made years ago—before anybody had broken them or any “rumors” had started) have absolutely nothing to do with “internet rumors” and everything to do with my education and experience as a Mechanical Engineer who does Stress Analysis on structure for a living and who has studied suspension design extensively for years. And you base your contention that all these parts are OK on ____ ?

The biggest “internet rumors” are that because a part (designed by teams of Engineers and durability tested to many life cycles at GM’s Proving Grounds) are weak simply because they happen to be made from steel stampings. And that anything “tubular” is automatically stronger (if the powdercoating comes in enough colors). And that chromoly is lighter, stiffer, will last longer than mild steel and is a better material for any and all applications. And that any ol’ fabricator is qualified to design complicated structural and suspension parts that are lighter than the team of Engineers could make them and yet still strong enough to be reasonably safe for an application with which he has zero experience (especially ones who fail to get even relatively simple parts right). And that a fabricator having a car that can run down the dragstrip automatically qualifies his parts for roadracing.

Those are the real “internet rumors.” Ones people like you are perpetuating with baseless claims, no experience and even less knowledge.
until you or anyone else can prove one has broken from the use it was built for i won't believe a word of it. i would love to see someone break a bmr, aje or pa/pro-fab unit doing street/strip/light auto-x duty. haven't seen it though and i've searched hard for it.
Please clarify what you’re trying to say here. Are you trying to argue that all these pieces have been advertised and sold as unsuitable for roadracing? Or are you calling those who have had them fail on the track liars? Accusing them of faking the pictures? What?

Your philosophy is most certainly bassackwards. When was the last time you turned a corner hard while traveling 150 MPH less than one foot away from a cement wall? Never? I figured as much. If you actually did that sort of thing you might realize how backward your placement of the burden of proof really is.

For me it was just a few weeks ago. Failure of a K-Member or A-Arms for me at an inopportune time could mean just a bit more than proving you wrong. It could mean death. Not figuratively, but literally--my death may result. Would that be enough proof for you? Or would you "not believe a word of it?"

The onus is not on the people who buy the parts to prove they will break. The onus is on the manufacturer to prove to me the part is sufficient before I’ll put it on my car. How easy it is for you to tell others to go risk their necks with crappy parts in order to “prove you wrong.” Those who have failed them on the track would likely feel like smacking you if they read this. Oh, how easy my job would be if only the FAA thought as you do. “You mean we no longer need to prove the airplane won’t break in half and fall out of the sky before we build it, much less fly it anymore? Sweet! Let’s just slap the thing together and start selling them. We’ll be “proven right”…until they start falling out of the sky….”

If you actually had these parts on your car and used them the way I and some others would, your opinion might be of some value. As it is, your opinion is worse than useless. Much worse. It’s worse because you are telling people parts are OK to use—parts that are not OK for every use. Parts that increase their risk of serious injury or death. A risk you are not taking. You don’t come to this opinion through experience, analysis or qualified judgment. You can’t even say, “If I didn’t think they could handle it, I wouldn’t do that with these parts on my car. But I do.” Because you don’t. Your opinion is entirely baseless and indefensible. Hopefully the people reading this who like to use their steering wheels in anger will realize that.
show me one please...
Here's one:

http://frrax.com/rrforum/index.php?act=ST&f=3&t=1699&

YOu may recall from a previous thread my mentioning that my BMR k-member broke at TWS in June. Work and other obligations have kept me from doing a thorough inspection of the entire front enduntil today, when I have the passenger front wheel off to replace a bad hub. I was shocked to discover that besides the k-member damage repaired mid-journey from College Station to Beaumont, the pickup point for the caster bushing was bent as well! The stamped 'box' that the caster bushing bolts through was pushed up and back, both sides wrinkled into an s shape about a half inch deep. Further inspection found the BMR upper was bent across the fllat section onto which the ball joint bolts about 3*. Apparantly the front toook quite a hard jolt at some point that weekend, though I don't recollect anything out of the ordinary. We had the car on a lift the previous night doing a pre-trip bleeding, oil change, etc., and the suspension was not damaged visably then.

Sorry I can't post pics. I have a couple of OK shots of the broken K-member that were taken (with my phone!) when we lifted the car at Prewitt Racing in Austin for the repair, if someone can spare a few K to host them. I will take photos of the rest of the K-mamber damage and upper arm later, as I plan to have a few words with BMR about all this.

BTW, Prewitt racing, primarily a mustang shop, in North Austin, really helped me out of a bind! I was stranded with a seriously broken front end 250 miles from home, needed to be back the following morning, and knew almost no one in the area. The alignment shop couldn't repair the car, but sent me to a shop they thought might. They were stacked up with work and didn't want to deal with my emergency. A few doors down, Jason Prewitt's establishment was thriving as well, but the man listened to my problem, looked at the car, and asked if seven PM would be too late for the completed job! His fab man was pulled off a roll cage job, and eagerly and proficiently repaired the damage, strengthened the crappy design, and gusseted the other side to match! I hightly reccommend them on spirit as well as skill!
Good day.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:53 PM

If it's anyones opionion I trust regarding structural analyis JON has great insight and understanding and knowledge. ... in other word JON knows his ****.

I understand its another opinion, but Jon has provided facts on other issues IMHO that satisfies me.

Last edited by Tom 97ss #25; 10-26-2004 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by Jon A
The judgments I make about suspension parts (and in this case made years ago—before anybody had broken them or any “rumors” had started) have absolutely nothing to do with “internet rumors” and everything to do with my education and experience as a Mechanical Engineer who does Stress Analysis on structure for a living and who has studied suspension design extensively for years. And you base your contention that all these parts are OK on ____ ?

The biggest “internet rumors” are that because a part (designed by teams of Engineers and durability tested to many life cycles at GM’s Proving Grounds) are weak simply because they happen to be made from steel stampings. And that anything “tubular” is automatically stronger (if the powdercoating comes in enough colors). And that chromoly is lighter, stiffer, will last longer than mild steel and is a better material for any and all applications. And that any ol’ fabricator is qualified to design complicated structural and suspension parts that are lighter than the team of Engineers could make them and yet still strong enough to be reasonably safe for an application with which he has zero experience (especially ones who fail to get even relatively simple parts right). And that a fabricator having a car that can run down the dragstrip automatically qualifies his parts for roadracing.

Those are the real “internet rumors.” Ones people like you are perpetuating with baseless claims, no experience and even less knowledge.

Please clarify what you’re trying to say here. Are you trying to argue that all these pieces have been advertised and sold as unsuitable for roadracing? Or are you calling those who have had them fail on the track liars? Accusing them of faking the pictures? What?

Your philosophy is most certainly bassackwards. When was the last time you turned a corner hard while traveling 150 MPH less than one foot away from a cement wall? Never? I figured as much. If you actually did that sort of thing you might realize how backward your placement of the burden of proof really is.

For me it was just a few weeks ago. Failure of a K-Member or A-Arms for me at an inopportune time could mean just a bit more than proving you wrong. It could mean death. Not figuratively, but literally--my death may result. Would that be enough proof for you? Or would you "not believe a word of it?"

The onus is not on the people who buy the parts to prove they will break. The onus is on the manufacturer to prove to me the part is sufficient before I’ll put it on my car. How easy it is for you to tell others to go risk their necks with crappy parts in order to “prove you wrong.” Those who have failed them on the track would likely feel like smacking you if they read this. Oh, how easy my job would be if only the FAA thought as you do. “You mean we no longer need to prove the airplane won’t break in half and fall out of the sky before we build it, much less fly it anymore? Sweet! Let’s just slap the thing together and start selling them. We’ll be “proven right”…until they start falling out of the sky….”

If you actually had these parts on your car and used them the way I and some others would, your opinion might be of some value. As it is, your opinion is worse than useless. Much worse. It’s worse because you are telling people parts are OK to use—parts that are not OK for every use. Parts that increase their risk of serious injury or death. A risk you are not taking. You don’t come to this opinion through experience, analysis or qualified judgment. You can’t even say, “If I didn’t think they could handle it, I wouldn’t do that with these parts on my car. But I do.” Because you don’t. Your opinion is entirely baseless and indefensible. Hopefully the people reading this who like to use their steering wheels in anger will realize that.

Here's one:

http://frrax.com/rrforum/index.php?act=ST&f=3&t=1699&

Good day.
have no reason for your attitude... you need a hobby to spend that much time.

good day to you, thanks for the heads up on the thread though... interesting.