Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Bolt-On SFC's.....???

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 01:28 PM

Bolt-On SFC's.....???

Is there such a thing? From what I have seen and heard here in the past 8 months, (I have learned a LOT!) the typical SFC attatched from the LCA and to the front SF... welded to the front, right??

Would these work? I figure they bolt to the tunnel brace too.. SLP is loosing my respect, somewhat...

Suggestions? I could use some advice here. I hear the boxed sets are good but they impede ground clearance. My car is not lowered and I don't plan on going lower than the stock height.... Even w/ wheel and spring changes...

Thanx in advance!!

Last edited by Bayer-Z28; 07-27-2005 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:40 PM

Re: Bolt-On SFC's.....???

A friend of mine has SLP LT's and the SLP bolt on SFC's on his car (we installed them in about an hour). I have the BMR boxed, ground clearance isn't an issue at all - and I like being able to lift the whole side of the car at once with a floor jack. IMO your LT's will hit first.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:38 PM

the LTs will hang lower than the subframes, hell the y-pipe will hang lower in places than the headers itself
Old 07-28-2005, 01:31 PM

Good stuff!

Thanx! I'll prolly get the SLP's. But as far as performance, now.... I would think the tree point attatchments would be a little better?... yeah, neh??

And yeah, the y-pipe does hang rediculusly low in spots..
Old 07-28-2005, 03:45 PM

I think you'll get different opinions on which is better, most will say welded are better, but performance should be about the same. The SLP's are more expensive, but then you won't have to pay for any welding and are easy to install. Either way SFC's are a great mod.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:46 AM

there is a guy on ebay that sells weld in and bolt on (just like SLP!).....just buy the weld in and bolt them on...save yourself the 50 -60 bucks and buy the 8 bolts yourself (grade 8). I did..and man there's a diff. Plus with a warrenty, I can unbolt and take back to dealer!
Old 07-30-2005, 09:57 AM
Administrator

The problems with a "bolt in" are the possibility of the bolts loosening, and of the bolts tearing the sheet metal where they pass through. Your trying to control the relative movement of the front and rear frames. Bolts, no matter how much you tighten them, will allow some "slip" of the SFC relative to the frame. A weld will not. Just a thought.

With a bolt in setup, keep an eye on the bolts.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by ibyourhucklebery
there is a guy on ebay that sells weld in and bolt on (just like SLP!).....just buy the weld in and bolt them on...save yourself the 50 -60 bucks and buy the 8 bolts yourself (grade 8). I did..and man there's a diff. Plus with a warrenty, I can unbolt and take back to dealer!

Your SFC will not void any warranty except for the parts directly related. Check out the Magnusson/Moss Act.

So being able to remove it for warranty is a mute point.

I say weld it. The extra bracing isn't needed either.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
The problems with a "bolt in" are the possibility of the bolts loosening, and of the bolts tearing the sheet metal where they pass through. Your trying to control the relative movement of the front and rear frames. Bolts, no matter how much you tighten them, will allow some "slip" of the SFC relative to the frame. A weld will not. Just a thought.

With a bolt in setup, keep an eye on the bolts.
Opinions are welcomed... That's a good point..

I'm still concider in the weld in... I can weld, I just need to find the welder first.. If I have on at my next base, I'll do the weld in. Was prolly looking for a reason to be lazy...

Do you weld to the LCA or is it just bolted there?? IF welded, can I get away w/ a storm weld there, or will that weaken the metal punching through it like that??

Two storms and a bead on the top and the sides..
Old 08-04-2005, 09:23 PM

it's been suggested to me to bolt the SFC on and then just tac weld them for extra support. that way it's easier to take them off if you sell the car or want to upgrade.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:15 AM

Kewl! Thanx again. How does BMR compare to Spohn??