Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Bouncy Koni SA shocks.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 07:40 PM

Bouncy Koni SA shocks.

I recently adjusted my front and rear Koni yellows SA shocks to about a 7/10, 3 from full firm in the fronts and about 1/2 turn from full soft in the rears. Well, the front end seems really bouncy, like when cruising on the highway or interstate. I know the roads around here aren't the best, but it just seems way to bouncy, kinda like a drag shock setup. It almost feels like I'm going to lose it on some turns with a even a little bounce to it. Should I try full firm, or whats up. I'm running Sam Strano 1 1/4 lowering springs btw.

I've got 0 weight reduction in the front end as of right now, but I plan on building a 1/2 fill 383 with either a D1SC or a F1A and hopefully a road race k-member to help reduce extra front end weight added by the blower while still keeping A/C and P/S. I want this thing to handle as I want to get into Autocross, and some Sand Hills road racing next year, but it will mostly be a street car with very occasional strip time.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:04 AM

You should contact Sam Strano about this. I am sure he would be happy to help you out since you are using his products, because I am sure he doesn't want no bad reviews. I have talked to Sam on the phone myself and thinking of getting the same setup myself + swaybars. So I would like to hear the out come of this. It seems like it should be more harsh like a boat ride than bouncy.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:47 AM

they have a lifetime Warrenty. Use it.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:00 PM

Thumbs up

Does the front feel like it's dropping when you go over dips in the road? If it does try taking the front down to 4, or 5 .
Old 09-02-2008, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Max Lewis
You should contact Sam Strano about this. I am sure he would be happy to help you out since you are using his products, because I am sure he doesn't want no bad reviews. I have talked to Sam on the phone myself and thinking of getting the same setup myself + swaybars. So I would like to hear the out come of this. It seems like it should be more harsh like a boat ride than bouncy.
Yes I have talked to him in the past (not about this though) and he is very knowledgeable. I'm running his swaybars,springs, and shocks.

Originally Posted by slomarao
they have a lifetime Warrenty. Use it.
I just purchased and installed these late last year and have only put around 3,000 miles on them, there is not any oil leaking from them so I see no reason why they would be "broken". The lifetime warranty is a big plus though, just incase something is wrong.

Originally Posted by bluz28
Does the front feel like it's dropping when you go over dips in the road? If it does try taking the front down to 4, or 5 .
Not really, it just feels like it rebounds too much, especially when going over an overpass/bridge. Like it will take the bump, then bunce back up and down a few times. It almost fees like I'm going to loose it because of too much front end suspension travel. I want the suspension to take the bump, but keep the front end planted.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:56 AM

Call sam, he has probably dealt with issues like this before.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:04 PM

Question

So did you get the problem fixed, what exactly was it ?
Old 09-06-2008, 09:17 PM

I called Sams tech line, but never got a hold of him. I'll try again next week and if I still can't get a hold of him, I'll try backing the fronts down to about 1/2. There are about 7/10 now.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:32 PM

Make sure you're adjusting ("sweeping") them in the right direction. It's very easy to get it backwards.

In fact, I actually put a little reminder on my shock mounts for that very reason...

Driver's side

Passenger side

Last edited by Chewbacca; 09-19-2008 at 08:48 PM. Reason: "shock" mount not "strut" mount
Old 09-18-2008, 06:04 PM

I have the Front shocks set at 4 sweeps from full firm and the rear was originally at 1 turn from full soft, and under certain road conditions it was bouncy. Sam told me to soften up the rears. I backed them off to 1/2 turn from full soft and it did get better although it still bounces under certain conditions. I'll probably turn them down to full soft and see how that is.
I have Strano's Springs, Saybars and Koni 4/4's.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:54 AM

I have all mine on full soft and the ride is great. When they are firm it just seems more unstable and annoying to feel every little bump going though your back if you know what i mean. It's a daily driver so some comfort is what i am looking for.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:59 PM

The ride was great at full soft, but I need more responsiveness. I almost lost it getting onto the highway when they were set to full soft. I firmed up the front to around 7/10, but it still seems too bouncy.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:16 PM

That's the one thing that pushes me away from adjustable shocks......When I upgrade my shocks, I just want to install them and drive. I don't want to have to worry about setup issues. I will probably go with the Bilsteins or Tokicos.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:35 PM

Well, they are nice, I just need to get them dialed in. Like if I want to go to the track and need the extra weight transfer to help my 60' times all I need to do is pull the front wheels and turn the dial. A local track near me has a roadcoarse and a drag strip so I can be set up to best perform for both in less than 10 minutes.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Z28luvr
That's the one thing that pushes me away from adjustable shocks......When I upgrade my shocks, I just want to install them and drive. I don't want to have to worry about setup issues. I will probably go with the Bilsteins or Tokicos.

Great..... But rather simple and not realistic. What if you put on the Bilstein's or Tokcio's and don't like the feel? You can't do anything about it, but buy other shocks. You say you don't want adjustables because you can adjust them. They aren't hard to understand when you buy them from someone who can explain the details to you.

I was out of town from the 10th to the 22nd of September racing. I don't recall a message about this, but maybe I missed it. None the less, it's possible there is a broken shock, or maybe just a mis-understanding in adjustment. Now we have a 10+ post thread and nothing tangible to go on. A broken shock might never leak. And while Koni's are very durable, there are times they can break, which is what the warranty is for.

Quick Reply: Bouncy Koni SA shocks.