Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Brake bleeding help on '94 B4C

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 02:46 PM

Brake bleeding help on '94 B4C

I know there have been multiple threads on the topic over the years, but I coudn't find one after looking for a while. I plan to bleed the brakes on my '94 B4C this weekend. I believe the car has traction control, if that matters. On older, non-ABS cars, I typically remove as much fluid as I can from master cylinder using a cooking baster, then refill with clean fluid, then use a one-man brake bleeder tool starting at wheel farthest from master cylinder, with good success. But, with ABS, I suspect there are other things to do. Any advice on how to handle the ABS and other aspects of this job would be appreciated. Thank you!
Old 04-06-2008, 08:59 PM

Well you should be able to bleed the brakes fine...abs doenst really matter in that case..the only time ive ever needed to bleed the abs motor was when replacing the ebcm...so i think you should be fine..b4 i worked for gm..thats all i did..good luck
Old 04-06-2008, 10:38 PM
Administrator

I don't think they actually sold traction control on the 94 models. It was in the catalog, but not available until 95 model year. You shouldn't have to guess. IF it has traction control, it would have "NW9" on the build code tag, a large, ugly black box on top of the drivers side valve cover with a throtte cable coming out of it, and a button on the dash to turn it off. It does make a difference, at least my Chiltons has two different bleeding procedures, one for ABS and one foro ABS+TCS.

With the ABS unit, if there were active codes for ABS problems, you may have to "home" the motors with a Tech 1 or 2 bi-directional scanner. The Chiltons recommends homing the motors even if there is no code, but there is a procedure given that does not require the Tech scanner. The manual also recommends using the 2 ABS module bleeders first.