Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Brake caliper still sticks!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 06:58 PM

Brake caliper still sticks!

The calipers stick for about 1/2 second when i take off from a complete stop. I changed most of the brake system, new rotors, new calipers, new pads, new brake hose's, bleed the entire system, new fluid, i dont know what else to do, like i said the calipers dont stick when im moving, just when i take off from a complete stop, what could it be. I dont think its the master cylinder because the pedal doesnt go to the floor any help would be great.

Last edited by chasmanz28; 08-31-2011 at 12:39 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:22 PM

Re: Brake caliper still sticks!

did you clean the slider pins really well and coat them with antisieze when you changed the pads? which one's are sticking? what process did you use to bleed them.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by L.dookie
did you clean the slider pins really well and coat them with antisieze when you changed the pads? which one's are sticking? what process did you use to bleed them.
The calipers came with new slider pins and bolts, used grease and did coat them well. Ive changed many brakes on all my cars but never ran into this problem. I have a one man air bleeder to bleed the air out of the system, started from the rear and work my way up to the front. As far as them hanging up or sticking, it seems to be worse when i apply more pressure to stop, or a harder stop. If i come to a soft stop it doesnt stick. They all seem to stick, sometimes just the rears, and then just the fronts, it the craziest thing.

Last edited by chasmanz28; 08-31-2011 at 12:22 AM.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:25 AM

Just surfing the web and came across this. "Occasionally too much silicone grease is put on the slides and a suction is created so the caliper is unable to release itself. Take the caliper off and press the sliding side towards the piston side and then observe it as you let go. If it pushes back then you have an issue and have to repack it. Also -any petroleum based product used to lubricate the slides casues the rubber to swell and can cause the same problem. If you have or think this may be the case get a new set of rubber slide covers from your local parts store and then repack with Sil Glyde or similar''.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:09 AM

i suppose that's possible. what was the original problem? just replacing parts for preventative maintenance measures, brake job with other problems? basically, what made you put new hoses on.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by L.dookie
i suppose that's possible. what was the original problem? just replacing parts for preventative maintenance measures, brake job with other problems? basically, what made you put new hoses on.
Front calipers were sticking badly, thats why i replaced all the parts. When it started to stick i replaced everything but the hoses, so i thought that was the problem but i guessed wrong. Its a chevy express 1500 i use for work and it has high mileage on it but well taken care of, maybe it doesnt like aftermarket parts who knows.