Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Brake Job nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 05:03 PM

Brake Job nightmare

I've had brake problems for a long time, ever since I installed my Line lock, which after about a month or two of use I removed. That was almost a year ago, but for some reason my brakes on my 00' Z28 were still spongee upon hard braking and all round just weren't right. Over the last year I've changed to cross-drilled rotors and changed the pads and bleed them myself a few times.

Then two weeks ago I decided to touch up my calipers and brackets with a few fresh coats of paint, install new stainless steel lines, and new pads. So while this job usually lasts a good day or two for me to do it right and let the paint sit properly, ended up taking over a week. Due to weather and free time limitations. However after putting everything back together my brakes felt worse then ever, alsolutely no brake pressure and felt like the brakes were still on after releasing the pedal. Wasn't even driveable and this is a daily driver in some extent.

Well my friend works at a Goodyear, so I decided to take it there to have the brakes bleed professionally. Well as it turns out the reason why the brakes weren't being releashed properly was because the slider bolts which connects the calipers to the bracket, had seized up and locked into place, not allowing the calipers to move properly into place. And those bolts did not want to come out. One of them broke at the top of the bolt leaving the rest lodged permanantly in place, when I tried to will them out them vise grips. The rest eventually came out with a blow torch. Alsolutely killing the paint I spent hours finishing to a perfect shine. However, after putting anti-seize lub on the slider and putting it back into the bracket it still wasn't sliding like it should. And it took two nights at Goodyear to do all this and the job still wasn't done. One bracket had a bolt lodged in, bolts were slightly bent, it sucked. I know I can easily buy new bolts, and drill that lodged one out, but I don't even think I can buy just new brackets.

So intead I've writen off my stock LS1 brakes and ordered new Wilwood Billet Superlite 6 Piston Calipers from Tbyrne this morning. It's horrible how something as simple as anti-seize lub can cause so much trouble and time. Well maybe in the end its better b/c now I get the Wilwoods which I always wanted. If it was painful reading this post it was X20 trying to get this job completed, I hate working on brake. Oh, and when I finally bleed the brakes with the air suction tool there was still alot of air in the rear lines, which shows me no matter what when doing it manually you will never get it 100%. I ended up driving the car home from about 3 miles away, never hit the brakes once though.

How much of a difference in braking power should I expect from the new Wilwoods?