Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Brake noise after replacing brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 09:29 PM

Brake noise after replacing brakes

About a month or two ago I replaced my front pads and had the rotors resurfaced, brakes worked great for about two weeks and then they started squealing real bad (only the fronts) just recently the front right has begun to make a creaking noise and the rotors are already warped again. I cant figure out if I just overheated the brakes a little too much or what. the noise is only at slow stops like rolling to a light (under 20MPH) and it only happes on the 'high' part of the warped rotor. Any ideas? need more info?
Old 11-28-2005, 03:00 PM

Re: Brake noise after replacing brakes

Do a search on warped rotors; a pulsing pedal can be caused by uneven distribution of brake material on the rotor, not actual warping of the metal. Did you season your brakes after the install? Proper seasoning of the brakes will help to avoid the pulsing. Seasoning is a process of gradually heating up the brakes to even transfer brake material to the freshly cut rotors and to perorm heat cycling of the rotors to relieve stress risers. Seasoning is performed by performing 3 - 5 firm "stops" from about 30 - 10 mph, then 3 - 5more "stops" from 50 - 10 mph. Then drive around for 10 minutes to let the brakes cool. Won't hurt to repeat the whole process one more time.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:41 PM

Never heard of that process before. The machine shop that I go to doesnt tell me these things, maybe they assume that I know what im doing if I am going to them with brakes. Would it still be possible to 'break in' the rotors a month later? Ive had a few good stops, but not back to back like the method suggests.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:49 PM

I start by seasoning them now and see if they get better.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:07 PM

when you bought the brakes did you buy the cheapest ones they had? i thought some brake pads,if you over heat them and the glaze over start to squeak.like metal on metal!?
Old 11-28-2005, 06:06 PM

nope, used the stock rotors and got bendix pads. at least with bendix I can just send them back and get more for free, if they are screwed up. the squeaking is the usual you get from any car just squeaking from old brakes or wet weather. The other noise is like a suspension spring creaking up front, but coming from the brake area.
Old 01-15-2006, 06:37 PM

Hey I get the same problem but mines in the passenger side rear. I forgot to silicone the pads to the plate maybe its moving around there too... I hate brake problems! LOL It does sound like a spring crunching nosie. Slow speeds and at stand still I can make it do the crunching noise.