Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Which brake pads to go with on stock system?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 10:13 PM

Which brake pads to go with on stock system?

Just as the title says, I'm in need of some new brake pads. The brakes suck on these cars as it is, but is there any benefit to going with a fancy performance pad, or will picking up a good solid pad from a local auto store work just as well? I saw a few items at advance auto from raybestos and satisfied that looked nice, but then I hear about Green Stuff pads. With the stock brakes not being great as it is, would there be a benefit waiting for "better" pads from the mail or just going with a quality local store product.

Also, do I have to replace the rotors, or would popping in some new pads be fine? I currently have no vibrations while braking so my guess is the rotors are fine. Thanks for the help.

-Brian
Old 01-23-2006, 01:34 PM

Re: Which brake pads to go with on stock system?

Looks like you have a decent engine setup with that LT1...
Maybe you can upgrade to Hawk Pads and Slotted Rotors with Earl brake lines? That's what I did with my high mileage LT1, seems to be working alright.
Before I freshened up my brake setup, I ran RayEsbestos Pads on my Stock Rotors and it did it's job for street driving. I would stick with factory replacements with those original rotors. Just make sure you have the rotors checked.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:35 PM

Thanks for the tips, I plan to do a better brake upgrade when I get some bigger wheels in the future. I just want the car to stop decently for the time. I'll have the rotors checked out. thanks again.

-Brian
Old 01-26-2006, 11:56 AM

Hawk HPS would be a great upgrade. You will notice a nice difference, even if you didn't change anything else.

Dan