Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

brake pedal goes to floor even after bleeding

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 03:56 PM

brake pedal goes to floor even after bleeding

I just changed my front brake pads and rotors. It was very hard to push the pistons back in the calibers so I took them both off the car and cranked them back with a C clamp. Then put everything back on the car and had a friend push the brake pedal while I released the bolt on the back of the caliper to bleed the system. Brake pedal still goes all the way to the floor and has hardly any resistance. I did this a few times on both fronts and it didn't help so I tried bleeding the one rear tire to see if that helped but it didn't. Also when I push a the pedal a few times and listen to the master cylinder it sounds like air bubbling in there or something. Could there still be air in the system or do I have a bad master cylinder? Car is a 1994 z28 with 160K+ miles on it. Still the original master cyliner on it. Thanks for any help.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:42 PM

Re: brake pedal goes to floor even after bleeding

You still have air in the lines. If you let the master run dry while you had the calipers off you will need to bleed the master and the abs. You might get by just bleeding the abs block and the calipers. Just keep bleeding them untill you get a firm pedal. Make sure you are pressing the brake then opening the bleeder screw then tighten the bleeder screw before letting the brake pedal up. Hook a clear hose to the bleeder screw and keep bleeding until you don't see any air bubbles. Don't let the master run dry.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:24 AM

OK... where is the bleed screw for the ABS block or the cylinder. I have both the Haynes and Chiltons and neither of them show a pic of where this is located. thanks
Old 03-13-2006, 08:23 AM

The master doesn't have a bleed screw. They are bled by loosening the fittings instead of a screw. I wouldn't mess with the master unless you just can't get a good pedal any other way.

The abs screws are on the front of the abs block toward the top. There are two of them. Bleed them first then the calipers. You probably need to bleed all the calipers not just the front ones.

Your original post sounds like you may just need to bleed the brakes more. If there is a lot of air in the lines it can take a lot of bleeding to get it all out.

I don't know if it's possible to install them backwards on a 94 but make sure your calipers are installed on the correct sides. The bleeder screw will be on top.

Last edited by rngilliland; 03-13-2006 at 08:28 AM.
Old 03-14-2006, 03:17 PM

Thumbs up Re: brake pedal goes to floor even after bleeding

I bled the ABS block and then all the calipers and that fixed my problem. Thanks for your help.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:52 PM

Your welcome. Glad it worked.