Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

brake pedal stopss half way down and not much there

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 09:31 PM

brake pedal stopss half way down and not much there

I did do a search and found nothing that really help me. When I go to stop the pedal feels musshy till half way down. Then it just stops. I can not push it any further no matter how hard I try. But the breaks are still very very soft. I have tried bleeding the brakes twice tonight. I am going to try again before changeing anything out. When we tried to pump the breaks up there was not to much pedal. It would still stop half way down. When we cracked the bleader the fluid would spray out alot and the pedal would go to the floor. I do have a super charger on the car but I have about 20 lbs of vacum under breaking.Any sugestions. I think it may still be air in the lines but any help would be helpful.

Thanks
Ben
Old 04-02-2007, 09:16 AM

Question Brake pedal hard, but brakes not grabbing

Did you ever figure this one out? I have a similar problem. The pedal moves about an inch, then hits a hard stop. The brakes do OK for normal driving in that first inch of travel. But they won't grab hard enough for a panic stop.

Any help is much appreciated. I hate to replace parts at random.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:05 PM

I have a similar problem. 1997 SS with an ATI D1 (7.6--> 3.4 pulley). From all of the testing results, I am in the process of adding an electric vac pump (from SSBC via Summit). I've tested the booster (OK). I have so much air flow @ idle I get 3 to 4 psi vac side. On the road when in decel I get 13 psi vac max. From all of the information I have seen, most brake companies say you need 16+ vac psi for panic braking. This is usually about 1200 to 1400 psi @ the brake caliper cylinder. I also changed my rotors which did help a bit but not much. Tested the check valve (OK). Used clamps on the vac tube (helped). Other options are to replace the vac booster with a hydraulic accumulator type. They run off of the PS pump, but range about $500 for the F_body. I could use a larger driven pulley but the acceleration and performance would not be there. At 4 psi vac, its like stepping on a rock. With no load on the engine (neutral) reving to a constant 1800 rpm, I can feel the brake pedal apply more brake force since the manifold will pull about 13 psi vac.
Hope this helps.