Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Brake problems...I could not leave well enough alone (again).

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 06:40 PM

Brake problems...I could not leave well enough alone (again).

Ok, so I did the 4 wheel LS1 brake swap on the Camaro and along with it threw a new master cylinder on the car and bled it according to Shoebox's site (which is my saving grace no less than twice a week). Anyway, it has been good for two days (since completing the rear swap) however now I am getting what seems like funny pedal response. The initial press is good and the pedal travels down just slightly. If I go right back to the brakes after the pedal returns it seems as if there is significantly more travel (but not soft). I have checked for fluid at all the fittings, checked fluid level at master cylinder and re-bled...it did not change.

My ABS INOP light has been on for 7 years, I have been assuming that it is because there is a failure in the pump or the valve body somewhere...but that is unsubstantiated at this point. Furthermore, this condition did not exist with the LT1 brakes. Could it be the different pressure variables at the ABS valve body associated with the LS1 brakes? I am wondering if I just pushed my ABS INOP condition from a point where it was not effecting brake performance to the contrary?

Any help would be great!

Thanks, Charlie
Old 09-08-2011, 07:40 PM

Re: Brake problems...I could not leave well enough alone (again).

Rear LS1 brakes on car, looks good sans the missing lug nut and pontiac symbol on the rim though eh?Name:  Rearbrakesoncar.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  40.3 KB
Old 09-08-2011, 08:42 PM
Administrator

If there is an active code, it makes the brake system difficult to bleed. The manual indicates that if there is a code, you have to use a Tech-2 to home the ABS motors before you can bleed the system.

In the 7 years you've been staring at the "ABS INOP" light, have you ever had the EBCM scanned?
Old 09-08-2011, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
If there is an active code, it makes the brake system difficult to bleed. The manual indicates that if there is a code, you have to use a Tech-2 to home the ABS motors before you can bleed the system.

In the 7 years you've been staring at the "ABS INOP" light, have you ever had the EBCM scanned?
No I have not, can this be accomplished with a run of the mill OBD1 scan tool? I will work on either scanning it myself this weekend or having it done if I can not accomplish this with my scan tool. Curiously, do you know what it is like to have a brake booster begin to fail?

Thanks!

Charlie
Old 09-09-2011, 05:23 AM
Administrator

No, you can't use a low $$ PCM scanner. There are now some lower cost EBCM scanners, but I don't know what specific systems they are compatible with. You need to get a dealer to scan it, or probably a shop that specializes in brakes.