Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

brakes..?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 11:02 AM

brakes..?

we are putting the front end back into my 1996 camaro lt1. we recently dropped the engine out from the bottom and had to unhook all the brake lines and what not.. so whats the best way to bleed the brakes? please help me!!
Old 09-18-2011, 03:17 PM

Re: brakes..?

THere's lots of write ups about it but basically you have two popular methods.
  • The vacuum method
  • Old school "buddy pumps the pedal, you crack the bleeder screw open "method

The vacuum method (Assumes you already jacked up the car, taken off the wheels, topped off the brake fluid reservoir and can open/close the bleeder screws successfully)
You'll need
  • A MightyVac or Harbor Freight version of a MightyVac
  • Plenty of new D0T 3 or greater Brake fluid
  • 10 mm socket and 10mm open end wrench

Technique
  • Make sure reservoir is full
  • Start with rear/passenger side
  • Using 10mm socket (if you have room. The passenger side rear has the Panhard rod bracket in the way so you'll have to use the box end of your 10mm wrench in all likelyhood), crack open the bleeder screw just a little then finger tighten it so it 'barely' seals(this is so fluid won't leak out or further air get in while you're getting the other things ready)
  • Firmly place mightyvac hose on bleeder screw nipple
  • (a)pump handle till approx 20psi is attained.
  • (b)use the open end of the 10mm and crack open the bleeder till the psi is down low/zero
  • (c)close bleeder screw
  • Repeat steps (a), (b) and (c) till no air bubbles are seen escaping the bleeder into the clear tube.
  • when no bubbles are seen, close bleeder (good n' tight) and replace the dust cap on the nipple, if you have one.
  • Replenish fluid in brake reservoir
  • Move to the drivers side rear brake and repeat the above
  • Move to the passenger side front brake and repeat the bleed and replenish steps
  • Finally, move to the drivers side front brake and repeat the bleed and replenish steps

Originally Posted by camz28ryan
we are putting the front end back into my 1996 camaro lt1. we recently dropped the engine out from the bottom and had to unhook all the brake lines and what not.. so whats the best way to bleed the brakes? please help me!!
Old 09-18-2011, 11:25 PM
Administrator

If you still have the ABS system, start by bleeding the two bleeders on the ABS motor assembly.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
If you still have the ABS system, start by bleeding the two bleeders on the ABS motor assembly.
This...I learned the hard way the first time.

I bought the cheap $5 brake bleeder from Autozone and it was by far one of the best $5 I've spent on car tools. Was able to bleed the entire brake system by myself and in less time than it would take with a buddy.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:43 AM

If you only opened the front brake lines, you should only need to bleed the front. The vacuum method is very easy.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:11 AM

camz28ryan
Do NOT power up the ignition until AFTER you have fully bled the brake system, otherwise the ABS controller will go through it's power up routine and probably leave the ABS in a non-functional error state. The ABS will then need the use of a GM diagnostic tool (TechII ?) to recenter it's moving parts.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:58 PM

Yes I took off the ABS motor assembly, ( i guess that is what it is) and I see 2 bleeder screws on the housing. Which bleeder should I do first and do we bleed them just like we would at the wheel?