Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Brakes grabbing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 09:26 PM
dtp

Question Brakes grabbing?

One of my rear brakes seems like it grabs, or anyway I hear squeeking from back there even after changing pads and getting my rotors machined. I think one of my rear calipers is going out. How could I diagnose this without paying a mechanic out the nose to diagnose the problem? (98Z28)
Old 12-16-2004, 09:32 PM

Re: Brakes grabbing?

If only one side is grabbing, the car will pull to the left or right when braking. What brake pads did you use? Some pads are just noisey. You can try jacking the rear of the car up, putting jack stands under the axle, and "driving" the car in place (carefully, no high speed required, use wheel chalks in front of both front tires). Have a friend "drive" and you monitor the rear brakes when they're applied.
Old 12-18-2004, 02:45 AM
dtp

Originally Posted by OBE1 95Z28
If only one side is grabbing, the car will pull to the left or right when braking. What brake pads did you use? Some pads are just noisey. You can try jacking the rear of the car up, putting jack stands under the axle, and "driving" the car in place (carefully, no high speed required, use wheel chalks in front of both front tires). Have a friend "drive" and you monitor the rear brakes when they're applied.

Ya, I think does pull a little bit to one side when I brake and after getting my rears machined, the squeeking went away for a while. I don't recall the exact brand of brakes I got from Autozone, but I'm seriously thinking about rebuilding my rear calipers now or just replacing them. No way in hell I'm paying the brake shops around here to do that. Thanks for the pointers.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by dtp
Ya, I think does pull a little bit to one side when I brake and after getting my rears machined, the squeeking went away for a while. I don't recall the exact brand of brakes I got from Autozone, but I'm seriously thinking about rebuilding my rear calipers now or just replacing them. No way in hell I'm paying the brake shops around here to do that. Thanks for the pointers.

Did you remove the mounting bracket from the caliper when you put the new pads in? Just make sure the caliper guide pins(or just one pin) isnt froze to the mounting bracket.