Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Brakes hard to stop when wet

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 11:42 AM

Brakes hard to stop when wet

During regular dry weather my brakes seem fine, better once they warm up than when cold though. However, during a moderate rain when the brakes get wet, the car is wicked scary. If you have to panic stop you can forget it until the water is pushed of the rotors - about 2 seconds. During this time the car has little to no braking power so I have to increase my following distance in the rain until i use the brakes a couple of times.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I was thinking of going to a slotted/drilled rotor because i think it may help some, but I think it might be partially due to the cheap autozone semimetallic pads.

Any suggestion on brake upgrades?
Old 03-27-2011, 12:18 PM

Re: Brakes hard to stop when wet

a drilled and slotted rotor will hold even more water and amplify your problem even more. Im thinking your problem has more to do with your pads, and maybe even your wheels somehow are creating just the right airflow when you moving to plaster the rotors with water.
The only time i feel the affects of wet rotors is the first stop after i get done washing the car. When you're cruising down the road, your rotors shouldn't be getting soaked that easy unless your driving through deep puddles
Old 03-27-2011, 02:57 PM

I think you're on the right track with suspecting the pads. I would put a light cut on the rotors to take away any glazing and put in some good quality pads (preferably oem).
Old 03-27-2011, 03:11 PM

When I changed to Performance Friction pads I had the problem you described. I think it was because I didn't get new rotors or have the old ones turned. Changing to some other pads didn't help. I got new rotors and pads and the problem was cured. My old rotors were in very good condition but I think the material deposited on the rotors from my old pads wasn't compatible with the new pads. New rotors, drilled and slotted or not, and pads will probably fix your problem.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:00 PM

I had the same issue when I changed to drilled and slotted rotors. I noticed a definite decrease in braking when wet. Since most of my driving is on the highway, I will ride the brake slightly from time to time to keep some heat in the pads and keep them dry just in case I need to make an aggressive stop. It has worked well for me so far and I'm running the Hawk HPS pads front and rear with an LS-1 setup on the front. I hope this helps.