Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Brakes like crap

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 02:09 AM

Brakes like crap

ok guys i need some help with this one...... 96 trans am

About a 3 months ago i had my abs light come on..........
About a 1 month ago i got a new master cylinder and booster installed...
Car break decent now, but not no were close to when i got the car 2 years back.... not even as good as my buddys stock 94 camaro, and he need brake pads.....

Now do you guys think my abs module is the problem....
the guys that installed the master cylinder and booster were really cheap on the price so i went with them on the install..... they were so cheap that i didnt even want to confront them on the job(stupid me)

Help please......................
Old 05-24-2008, 07:45 AM

just guessing here but I would say the ABS module would cause bad braking. The thoughts are because the module is between the master cylinder and all 4 brakes.

The ABS module is controled and/or activated electronically but there is still valving in there which if stuck, can prohibit or cause hard or difficult braking conditions.

just my $0.03...
Old 05-24-2008, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Did you have the EBCM checked to see why the ABS INOP light came on? Not sure which malfunction code would point to the master cylinder and booster. Was the "BRAKE" light also on when the ABS INOP light came on? That would indicate the EBCM had deactivated the ABS system in response to the differential front/rear brake pressures indicated by the BRAKE light. Did the ABS INOP light go out after the parts replacement?

Is it possible your cheapie mechanics simply unplugged the ABS INOP light in the dash to make you think they had solved the problem?
Old 05-27-2008, 02:30 AM

No the brake light was not on...
The abs light is still on, but when i asked the guy why it was on he told me that i would need to get that checked out at a special brake shop...... iam assuming he didnt know how to bleed that abs module...........

so.... do you guys think i should tackle this part myself???

i have bleed older cars, and i do know how to bleed brakes on a car??????
Old 09-08-2008, 12:11 PM

Take a look in the haynes/chilton manual, if you have traction control, you need a tech II or some other EBCM special tool to bleed the brakes.