Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Brakes pad change

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 08:13 PM

Brakes pad change

Hey, i'm not here about my camaro actually but my 2000 Grand Am SE. I'm changing the right front brake (disk brake) and i can't get the caliper back on the rotor because the cylinder that presses against the pads during braking is in the way, i tried bleedingt he brakes and turning on the car and everything i can think of but i can't seen to get the damn thing back a bit to make room for the pads and the rotor. if anyone can help that'd be great.

THanks
Old 05-11-2004, 08:19 PM

Re: Brakes pad change

Originally posted by MaxCamaroZ28
Hey, i'm not here about my camaro actually but my 2000 Grand Am SE. I'm changing the right front brake (disk brake) and i can't get the caliper back on the rotor because the cylinder that presses against the pads during braking is in the way, i tried bleedingt he brakes and turning on the car and everything i can think of but i can't seen to get the damn thing back a bit to make room for the pads and the rotor. if anyone can help that'd be great.

THanks
get a c-clamp and compress the cylinder??? that might help
Old 05-11-2004, 09:08 PM

Try using a big pair of water pump plyers. My shop teacher was doing some heavy duty truck brakes today, and I saw him using that.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:23 PM

Hey, ok so i got the caliper on but i lost pressure to brakes i tried bleeding the brakes to the best of my knowledge but i still got nothing from it (pressure that is) I'm probably not doing it correctly and i know the master cylinder is ok. So could someone tell me how to bleed the brakes or whatever so i get pressure back in my braking system, thx!
Old 05-11-2004, 09:31 PM

This may be a dumb question, but have you pumped the brakes a good number of times(8-10)? If not that would restore your pressure. One other question, when you used the c clamp, did you open the bleeder valve? If not it probably isn't a big deal, but with abs systems you should open it so that when you compress the piston you are not forcing fluid back through the controller which can possibly jam it or something along those lines.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:33 PM

Yeah, i had the bolt unscrewed so it could bleed a bit. Also when i bleed the brakes should i leave the "bleeder" out so it can jus squirt away to its little hearts intent for 8-10 pumps and then hold the brake down and screw it back on. Not sure i guess how exactly to do it.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:38 PM

No, what I meant was after you bleed them and shut the screw, did you pump the pedal at all?
Old 05-11-2004, 09:40 PM

Alright, thanks i wasn't doing it right in the first place. I'll give that a try tomorrow. (Not a brake person, just throttle )
Old 05-12-2004, 11:53 AM

So i tried pressing the brake letter the fluid seep out and then plug in and pump it a bunch of times, around 10. I got some pressure but then it just left again. I'm not sure whats wrong. I'm just doing this to one brake because i've just been working on one, i'm not sure if you have to bleed all of them or not. Here is what i do
1.) turn on car
2.) take plug off brake
3.) have someone press and hold brake till fluid stops seeping
4.)plug and tighten
5.) pump brakes 10+ times

what happens is a slight gain of pressure fora few seconds and then back to little to no pressure.
Old 08-22-2004, 10:12 PM

Re: Brakes pad change

Um.... did you refill the cylinder with brake fluid?

close it up?

you really need 2 people..... and make sure that when they depress brakes, the pedal does not lift up and suck in air before you close the bleeder screw.